Getting harassed by a drone while hunting, what do you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CC379

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
about 25 years ago there was a helicopter that flew over several farms in the area shooting coyotes, sheriff said it was legal, I saw the helicopter fly over my place with a guy hanging out the side holding a rifle I thought maybe it was the police

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Indeed. A quick google found the following:

7 BIG PROBLEMS WITH COUNTER DRONE TECHNOLOGY

:drunk2:
___

Bottom line: Don’t take matters into your own hands, call the police. Especially since claiming self defense against a hobbyist drone could be very very tenuous. Now if it’s a Predator loitering in your backyard, you probably have bigger issues than a violation of privacy or wildlife harassment.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can jump ducks on a pond then you're probably capable of finding the point of origin of that little toy. Then figure it out from there; might be as easy as a quick conversation, might have to notify the game warden, but should be easy at that point and within your rights. I am betting dollars to donuts your up against a future OSA member about 10 years old and he's laughing his ornery little rear off.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a thought.
If this was the same area you hunted and were buzzed 2 times I would bet you passed a residence on the way to the hunting spot or there is one close by that can hear your vehicle.

Pay attention to what time this happens and where you are and maybe you can pinpoint the house where this happens.
That drone i would bet will not be in the air more than 45 minutes and you can easily see where it is headed.

Maybe climb a tall tree and watch it or something.
Get the local rangers number in your phone and alert him or her as to what is happening and tell the ranger you will notify them if you find the culprit.

I would be on a drone hunt.
Not to kill it but to find it's den.

If the law states there is nothing they can do then I would stealth find it and fix all the negative issues.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I wanted to shoot the drone it wasn’t gonna happen. Chances are, I would be under armed if bubba decided he wanted to get all OK corral with me. I had 5 3” nontoxic bismuth shells for my 20ga and my 357mag was half full of snake shot. I’m also not one to go looking for a fight anymore. I was also a quarter mile from my truck, which was parked within 20 yards of the road. Anyone who drove through that area in the past hour and a half knew that I was in that area because of where my truck was parked. With the lack of homes in the area, I’m pretty sure that the drone operator was in a truck somewhere. Which also means he could have been to my truck waiting for me or doing his share of damage long before I got back to my truck.

if I’m correct about the drone he had the model a step down from the one I have, which means he’s good for at least 4 miles worth of range. He was at least 3/4 of a mile away from the drone anyways, as the direction from where it came/went was across a floodplain and a river.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone makes a drone-frequency jammer.

I'm sure those things crash all the time...
:drunk2:
___
Jammers are a huge Nono according to the feds, but you can find them for sale all over the internet. I feel like it’s kinda like those ads for fuel filters or solvent traps. You buy it, you get put on a list.

also, most decent $500 or better drones have an automatic return home function. If the drone loses contact with the base station, it will return to the GPS coordinates from where it was launched and land itself. Kinda like an old dog meeting you back at the truck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom