Getting On With My First Diet... At 20

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck and let us know how it goes. In theory, you can eat whatever you want as long as you work it off. I maintian a 5000+ calorie daily diet and I maybe weigh 150 soaking wet, but I stay extremely physically active too.

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use my fitness pal to make sure I eat enought at 3000 cal a day 500 over maintenance.

My and my wife go to the gym 5 days a week. So far she lost 40 lbs. he also uses myfitnesspal

HiImSeth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good job on deciding to take care of yourself and lose some weight. Keep it up. At my biggest I was 250lbs, now I'm 163.5lbs. You can do it.

Talk about coincidence. Girlfriend got a Blendtec for her birthday YESTERDAY. It's fate.

I've got a Blendtec. It is badass. I love green smoothies as well.. It is incredible how many cups of spinach you can throw in there and easily mask with one banana. Crazy.

Iggie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to be greedy But, I am making my "lifestyle" change for me but I am trying to drag my friends and family with me so we all can reap the benifits. I am 6'4" was 330lb now 320lb goal is 220lb I miss the me 100lbs ago and intend to find him. My wife found "lose it!" For android I have been trying that for a week now I like it. So far anyway. I always just ate till I was full didn't care what calories I was consuming. Now just to work on a more permenant work out/ running scheduel. (The drive for this is difficult)

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK i find this thread interesting. I am at the start of a lifestyle change in the gathering of information. So where would any of you more veteran people who have lost weight start?? please help. I am 6'1'' 235lbs.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK i find this thread interesting. I am at the start of a lifestyle change in the gathering of information. So where would any of you more veteran people who have lost weight start?? please help. I am 6'1'' 235lbs.

Stay away from any "diet" drinks(diet coke, etc...) and what not. You're body can't process artificial sweeteners like regular sugar. So if you're trying to cut some sugar/calories that way, just cut them out all together. Also, don't just eat salads a lot because you don't get a lot of nutrients from salads like people think(it's why vegans always look like they are about to die). It's all about burning off more than you take in. When I was deployed my work out buddy lost 20 lbs of fat while I gained 15 lbs of muscle doing the exact same workout, we just had very, very different diets. He watched what he ate while I ate everything in front of me. Don't get stuck in one routine for months because eventually your body will adapt to it. Every other month or so mix up your workout. Workout with dumbells for a while and then switch to only using bars, stuff like that. Your body will have to burn more calories to compensate for the new muscles worked, opposed to the muscles that are used to it. Cardio is great, but some kind of muscle routine is needed also. Try to find your happy median between the two. Take pictures of yourself every month to help track progress, it's a big motivator to visually see yourself losing weight. Set realistic goals and meet them, one at a time. Every goal met motivates you to keep going until you hit your main target.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are other good apps out there too. For android or iPhone:
I use iPhone but I think these are on both:

Calories counters and exercise journal apps:
Lose It
My Fitness Pal

Exercise:
5k, c25k, ease into 5k [all get you from being a non-runner to running a 30 minute 5k, just under a 10 minute mile]
Nike+ GPS [allows you to log outdoor runs (and treadmill, but seriously) and calculate caloric burn, distance, etc along with challenging fellow friends who have the apps].

I am currently doing circuit training days alternating with C25k app. I do 30 minutes of circuit every other day, 6 minute circuit 3x with short warm up/cool down. I do the C25K app on the other alternating days which takes between 30-35 minutes.
I take Sundays completely off.

As far as Diet, I try to eat balanced but I stick heavily to a 1600 calorie cap. I cut all processed foods, fast foods, etc and switched to stevia based sweeteners since it is not synthetic and much easier on the body, yet 0 calories. Whole food has some good green tea blends called "Steaz" which are sweetened with stevia. They really help as a crutch for kicking soda.

I've seen more lean gains than I have weight loss as I am fitting into clothes @198 that I fit into @185 back in early high school. I have lost 7" in my waist and gained 1.5" in my chest. I still have a goal of 175 at the moment and then will re-evaluate once I get there as a "healthy" weight for my height is 165.

Latest posts

Top Bottom