Glock 21?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My favorite: A 9mm might expand but a 45 will never shrink.

Also I don't recall anyone ever losing a fight because they brought to many guns or too much ammo.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's one hell of a story....
Well, honestly I don't know which one I'd chose....
Although the saying is "A 9mm might expand but a 45 will never shrink"....
But with the 45, ya got less ammo and it gets heavy fast.
It's more of a personal preference thing I guess, all that matters is if you're good and accurate with the round you prefer.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup, and I've seen people who were ejected from an automobile accident and then their car caught on fire while they lay unconscious on the ground. Thus, they'll never wear their seatbelt again, because they are convinced they will cause you to die.

Same kinda logic. Try to decide if the assailant in the story above might have reacted differently to being stung by a few more 9mm rounds instead of the .45 rounds? Maybe not... maybe less. Maybe as our hero emptied his magazine through the windshield toward center mass, a few of those 9mm rounds might have just ricocheted off the inside of the glass and been deflected down into the dashboard. They don't do much good down there, do they? But a 9mm round at 117gr or a .45 round at 230gr, lower speed but more kinetic energy... you decide. No one, not even Massad Ayoob, can tell you what is right for you.

We can find freak accidents anywhere. It's about the preponderance of the evidence, for one, but even moreso about being comfortable with your firearm and being able to put rounds where you want them that counts.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the officer would probably argue that ballistics in duty handgun calibers/ammo are too similar to make a difference. In his experience ONLY shot placement counts....so more rounds would equal more opportunities to put a bullet in the right spot.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
"It was like being hit with a machine gun!" Asserted Angel Alvarez after being shot two dozen times by NYPD using 9mm Speer Gold Dots.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/04/nyregion/04alvarez.html?_r=0

Newly Free, Man Recalls Encounter With Police

By JED LIPINSKI

Published: March 3, 2011

“It was like being hit with a machine gun,” the man, Angel Alvarez, 24, told reporters on Thursday at a news conference at his lawyers’ office in Manhattan. “I have 27 holes in my body.”

His lawyers added that four bullets are still lodged inside him.

“No expert marksman could have pulled that off,” said Seth Chandler, one of Mr. Alvarez’s lawyers. “It’s a miracle he’s alive.”

Mr. Alvarez, whose lawyers say he plans to sue the police, was released on Wednesday after six months in custody. He was arrested in August after he fought with a man, Luis Soto, during a block party that turned deadly. The police accused Mr. Alvarez of shooting at them as they had advanced on the fight. Four officers fired a total of 46 rounds. Mr. Soto was fatally wounded in the encounter.

Mr. Alvarez looked elated but calm as he recounted the events surrounding the shooting, occasionally holding his 3-year-old son, Angel, on his lap. He said he had approached Mr. Soto intending to get into a fistfight in retaliation for something Mr. Soto had done to one of his friends, when Mr. Soto suddenly drew a gun and fired two bullets into his abdomen and leg.

Mr. Alvarez said he struggled with Mr. Soto, pushing the gun down to prevent Mr. Soto from shooting him in the upper body. One of Mr. Alvarez’s lawyers, Zachary H. Johnson, said that at that point another shot went off.

Then, according to Mr. Alvarez, bullets began flying from behind him. Initially, he said, he had assumed that friends of Mr. Soto were shooting at him, though he later learned that it was the police.

Mr. Alvarez also said a police officer kicked him in the head and told him, “You’re going to die.”

Prosecutors have not said whether they will bring charges against the officers who fired their weapons, though indications are that the same special grand jury that declined to indict Mr. Alvarez will consider the matter. Ballistics tests have indicated that the bullet that killed Mr. Soto was probably fired by the police.

As for the timing of the suit Mr. Alvarez plans to file, Mr. Johnson said: “We’re going to wait until all the evidence is considered. We don’t want to rush it.”

Dayan Perez, Mr. Alvarez’s sister, sat by his side through much of the half-hour news conference, smiling and answering questions from reporters in Spanish. Afterward, TV cameras followed Mr. Alvarez as he kissed his son and carried him down the hall.

A version of this article appeared in print on March 4, 2011, on page A23 of the New York edition.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom