Good Day at Red Castle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree a 1" dot at 600 is mighty tiny.. a scope with second focal plane will cover much less of that dot ..

One reason i sold my nikon buckmaster 3-9x40.. those thick big game hunting cross hairs covered 3/4" at 100 yards.

My best group from my .308 was 3/4" with that scope...different scope with thinner cross hairs got me .376"
as a best group..
I never looked at 600 yards at a 1" target....I guess if you could focus on it ..you could stick that target in the crook of the cross hairs...
I need to shoot some far away stuff!!!!

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How in the hell did you see 1" red dot on white paper at 600 yards?

It is actually a good question. The answer is: not very well. There is a couple of things to point out though. The dot is actually a flourescent orange. My scanner does not pick this color up at all, but visually against the white there is quite a bit of contrast. It was also about 7:30 in the morning when I was shooting so there was virtually no mirage. I used the 2" dot...until I ran out of those, then switched to the 1" dot out of necessity because I wasn't done shooting. The reticle has a thickness of .035 mils,so most ( virtually all) of the dot was obscured. I think part of the reason why the group was so small was that I had to focus on my NOPA and trigger pull rather than on the relationship of the crosshairs to the dot.

The second picture is a 2" dot, its bright at 25x. There is no problem at all seeing that one. On a side note, the glass on this scope is superb, but the more I use the scope, the less I like the SFP and reticle. It is a well functioning optic, that is great for shooting groups, but I enjoy practical shooting so I think the Bushnell XRS with G2 reticle would be much better atop this rifle than this Nightforce. I may even end up selling this one.

B Gordon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice groups.
You ought to shoot in the F-class target matches if you don't already.

You might consider changing to a different target center for better accuracy.
I make an X with a black magic marker.
It shows up better than the orange against the white background and gives you an exact center to hold on because you see your crosshairs and diagonal lines of the X to center on.
If you happen to see a piece of white paper 24" x 36" stapled on the 600 yard #1 target backer board with 6 or 8 X's, it was probably mine.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know what you mean about not really being able to see the target helping with good groups. I tend to shoot my best groups when it is either a big huge target with no discernible center, or a tiny target that I can't really see. Either way you don't have a little bitty bullseye for your eye to pick up and make you subconsciously muscle onto... you just have to trust your NPOA.

I am working on a Savage build now... I originally planned on .260, but now I'm strongly considering 7mm-08 too, just so I would be able to use store bought ammo if I had to. That is one of the calibers at was pretty consistently in stock, even in the middle of the panic.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
7mm-08 is a great hunting round. I wouldn't have gone the 260 route had Lapua not started making brass for it and Reloader 17 came out. I believe Norma makes 7mm-08 brass.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gave up on 7mm-08 - just couldn't get the speeds with heavy bullets. Great mid-range/hunting cartridge - just doesn't have the boiler to play F-Open games where 284 and 7 shot mags shine.

260 is much better choice for 308-based-case.

Latest posts

Top Bottom