Good Deals at Gun Shows?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubbadreier

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post! Well I haven't bought a gun since I was a little kid (mowed lawns and my dad bought them for me), and I am looking to buy my first handgun this next weekend at the gun show in the OKC fair grounds. After talking to the wife and looking at the finances, it looks like I can get away with spending around $300. I am going to use the gun mainly to learn to become comfortable with handguns, and also for home protection. The Home protection won't come until much later though. It won't be my only handgun, but it will be my only one for a little while. I am looking to get a Ruger P-95 or any P series 9mm, a S&W Sigma SW9VE, or a SIG Sauer P250 at this gun show. So my question is this... Can I reasonably assume that the prices at gun shows could be lower than most online stores?

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can I reasonably assume that the prices at gun shows could be lower than most online stores?

hahaha boy you're funny. Seriously though, that's not the way it is at all.

Check the prices on budsgunshop.com. That's about as cheap as you'll find new guns anywhere on most things. Add in $20 or so for FFL transfer fees and there's the price you're looking to beat.

The best deals at gun shows are guys walking around with guns looking to sell them. You can get good deals from dealers but they're few and far between.

In any case, you should probably get a shotgun for home defense since they're easier to shoot accurately and they're cheaper; a used 870 Wingmaster or a new Maverick 88 should fit well within your budget. After you've got that, save your pennies for a pistol; the models you named are cheap partially because there isn't a lot of demand for them, and low popularity means that spare parts, magazines, and accessories will be harder to find down the line.

If you're dead-set on a pistol, keep an eye on summitgunbroker.com too. He gets in a lot of police trade-in pistols and the prices are great. (EDIT: In fact, if you're willing to consider a revolver, he's got a couple Colt Police Positives in the $250 ballpark.)

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know if you get that Colt Official Police you might just be as cool as this guy

ai.imgur.com_Ah30P.jpg

Bubbadreier

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a Browning Gold 12 gauge right now for home defense and I have 12 shotguns in total. I plan on getting my CC before too long, but since I have never owned a handgun I would like to own and get comfortable around them first. I am going to keep this pistol for home defense after I get my CC and get another more compact gun to carry. The wife will go to the range with me so she can get comfortable as well, she can't hold any of the shotguns and I would like for her to be able to use the 9mm. I have shot all of these guns at the range plus a Glock 17 and 19 (these didn't real right to me), and a few others. I remember getting some great deals on shotguns back in the day so I assumed it might be true for handguns as well. I am not looking to get them new, used would be fine as well.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post! Well I haven't bought a gun since I was a little kid (mowed lawns and my dad bought them for me), and I am looking to buy my first handgun this next weekend at the gun show in the OKC fair grounds. After talking to the wife and looking at the finances, it looks like I can get away with spending around $300. I am going to use the gun mainly to learn to become comfortable with handguns, and also for home protection. The Home protection won't come until much later though. It won't be my only handgun, but it will be my only one for a little while. I am looking to get a Ruger P-95 or any P series 9mm, a S&W Sigma SW9VE, or a SIG Sauer P250 at this gun show. So my question is this... Can I reasonably assume that the prices at gun shows could be lower than most online stores?
Prices at the gun show will generally be either equal to or significantly higher than most online stores.
However, some vendors do indeed mark up their items to include a little "wiggle room"...snd some vendors do not.
The point is: don't immediately run away from sticker shock without first inquiring about getting a better deal.

On the other hand, some vendors do not mark up their stuff and don't 'bargin' at all....the sticker price is firm.
I'm just lettin' ya' know tho'....when you run into one of those guys, they will usually act as if that never happens in any business while acting immensely offended that you even dared to ask.
I've never understood this behavior considering that roughly half of the people out there will indeed 'deal' with the customer.
I mean....how are you supposed to know which ones are which?
Meh....I guess it really doesn't matter too much because the ones that behave in such a manner usually don't have much that you want anyway. :)

Personally I believe you're being a bit optimistic considering your stated price range....particularly if buying from a dealer.
You might have better luck in that regard dealing with an individual.

Some of the better dealers....OPS, RJ's, etc....while they may or may not have their prices actually marked a certain way, in my many experiences dealing with them I have found their prices to be extremely competitive with online stores....and even better in some cases.
You are basically looking at local prices plus sales tax VS buying online, shipping, and FFL transfer cost.
By the time it's all said and done you'll usually find some of the better dealer's prices (like I mentioned above) will work out to be about the same......but you don't have to hassle with shipping/transfer and more importantly you keep your business local which they of course appreciate and you will too in the long run when it comes to service/shipping/transfers/warranties, etc.

You should definitely use some of the online vendors as a pricing guideline....that can be a real help, but building good rapport and business history with your friendly neighborhood gunshop definitely has benefits that you cannot get through online sales.
(and again, most cost the same anyway)

BTW, of the three specific pistols you listed the SIG P250 is the only one that I would consider owning for self defense.
HOWEVER, I think there are better choices still...
Given that you can sometimes find used Glocks for around three-and-a-half, as well as decent S&W revolvers....I'd go one of those routes.

Last edited:

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wife will go to the range with me so she can get comfortable as well, she can't hold any of the shotguns and I would like for her to be able to use the 9mm.

Just throwing out an idea: get a 20 gauge youth model shotgun with an 18" barrel. 20 gauge buckshot should be fine for inside-the-house distances, and your wife should be able to handle the lighter and shorter gun. You'll handle it quicker too.

I am not looking to get them new, used would be fine as well.

Prices on everything at gun shows are inflated, including used guns. Your best bet is to monitor classified ads on this and other boards and look for a good deal. Also, look for guys walking around with guns at gun shows because they probably just got hilariously lowballed by the guys with tables and your reasonable offer will sound like a lot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom