good subsonic 9mm ammo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedRiverAmmo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, you guys ok w/ plated bullets? We would have to order the bullets, so I will have to see what the prices are when get to the office. I'll shoot you a price tomorrow some time.

Trevor

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, you guys ok w/ plated bullets? We would have to order the bullets, so I will have to see what the prices are when get to the office. I'll shoot you a price tomorrow some time.

Trevor

I am not familiar with plated bullets. Since these rounds would be primarily for use in suppressed weapons I would like to know some info about the possiblity of the plating seperating as it could damage the baffles in the suppressor. Without good info on that possibility, I would prefer FMJ's.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was that with the suppressor attached? Did you have any problems with this ammo without the suppressor?
it is my new SWR trident 9 I have not shot the stuff not suppressed. I guess I will go burn a box of it without the supressor. As far as I know it is an all stock G19 with a new lone wolf threaded barrel.
I was about to ask the same. Shouldnt have any issues with it with suppressor attached.

And for all that matters, you really shouldnt have an issue w/o the suppressor (specially with factory 147s). I would ask how new is the gun you tried them with? What lb spring does it have in it? My HK has issues with handloads 147 over 3.2TG but 147 over 3.4TG gives me 0 FTEs. I would think the factory ammo would be at or above the 3.4TG pressures/velocities. But thats conjecture w/o data on my part.

I will go run some without the can.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not familiar with plated bullets. Since these rounds would be primarily for use in suppressed weapons I would like to know some info about the possiblity of the plating seperating as it could damage the baffles in the suppressor. Without good info on that possibility, I would prefer FMJ's.

I agree, it gets a little scary with plated bullets. However, if you are doing the reloading:

1.) bell your case mouth a little more to ensure you arent shaving off part of the plating when seating the bullet.
2.) slightly under crimp the case mouth during crimping.

(these steps were used before I used a suppressor to ensure I didnt get plating separation during fire as I heard some plated brands can be bad about it. From what I have researched, Berry's and Rainiers havent had any issues.)

I am relatively new to suppressors (as in just a few weeks), but I have put about 500 rounds through my Trident using Berry's 147s. I paid close attention to the baffles (just visual inspection, the best I can since it cant be taken apart) and also shook the suppressor out after removing the LCD or 3-Lug onto a piece of white paper (never noticed any plate material come out).

Of course, YMMV.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plated bullets are ok, but for the cost, Montana Gold CMJs are better bullets. Plated used to be very economical, but now it is close enough to MG prices that I'll shoot them. You have to be too careful taper crimping plated bullets. They are sensitive to variations in brass length and thickness. I've found they aren't as consistent as FMJs and for my suppressor, I'd rather have CMJs or other FMJ bullets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom