First 9mm ammo Ive seen under 30 cents a round

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I made this and it was well under $150/500 rounds.View attachment 286883

What value do you place on your time spent reloading those cartridges? I know, some folks actually enjoy reloading, so it might not seem like a chore. For my part, the mild anxiety and stress I get from reloading, plus the time involved, has me swiping through web sites to order factory ammo. 1000 rounds ordered in a couple minutes and delivered to my door is a lot more palatable to me ;)

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What value do you place on your time spent reloading those cartridges? I know, some folks actually enjoy reloading, so it might not seem like a chore. For my part, the mild anxiety and stress I get from reloading, plus the time involved, has me swiping through web sites to order factory ammo. 1000 rounds ordered in a couple minutes and delivered to my door is a lot more palatable to me ;)

Well… it depends. If I don’t have anything else to do, the time for me is better spent reloading than sitting in front of the TV or computer. The components were mostly purchased when prices were low and easily obtained. A progressive press you can expect to knock out approximately 500 rounds per hour, once it’s calibrated. It’s not hard work and once you get a feel for it, it’s not really too big of a deal to walk into the garage and load for an hour.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t forget neckbearding primers. That’s still a thing and it’s a lot of work

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m still pretty happy with my price per round considering I got into reloading this year. Haha

I would be, too. Years ago the thought of reloading 9mm was laughable, now not so much. Fortunately, reloading components have a long storage life. Also, factory loaded 9mm at $150/1k has a long storage life as well. I wasn’t shooting often enough back then to justify buying more factory stuff back then.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heck, bullets plus primers come to nearly 20 cents per round these days. Where are you getting free powder? :D

I got a few pounds of it from a keg that I split years ago. I think it was around $10/pound maybe a bit less. You don’t even want to know how much the primers are that I’m using cost compared to today’s prices.

When you think about it a 1k primers take up around the same space as an average 50 round box of loaded ammo and weights almost nothing.

A pound of powder takes up around the space of two 50 round boxes of ammo. If you take an average pistol powder charge of 4 grains, you can load approximately 1.7k rounds.

Pistol bullets might take up a bit more space than a couple of 50 round boxes.

Cases were picked up from my own range sessions or stuff that others just left on the ground.

Most people won’t reload by the tens of thousands of rounds per year. They don’t need a fancy progressive press with a bunch of doodads. So for about the cost of a thousand factory loaded 45 ACP round’s in 2005-ish, I had all the equipment that I needed to get started reloading.

Latest posts

Top Bottom