First 9mm ammo Ive seen under 30 cents a round

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Most people won’t reload by the tens of thousands of rounds per year. They don’t need a fancy progressive press with a bunch of doodads. So for about the cost of a thousand factory loaded 45 ACP round’s in 2005-ish, I had all the equipment that I needed to get started reloading.

I traded a Glock for a turret press and some cash. I think I made a decent investment since to me reloading is therapeutic and I enjoy being able to knock 200 rounds out in an hour if I really focus.

So far I only have it set up for 9mm. Soon I’m going to buy another turret head so I can just keep my heads set up for whatever caliber.

Eventually I want to have three turret heads. One for 9mm, one for .45acp, and one for 38special.

I single stage 41mag and 44mag. Most I’ll do of that is about 50 rounds at a time. Same with my .308win.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a few pounds of it from a keg that I split years ago. I think it was around $10/pound maybe a bit less. You don’t even want to know how much the primers are that I’m using cost compared to today’s prices.

When you think about it a 1k primers take up around the same space as an average 50 round box of loaded ammo and weights almost nothing.

A pound of powder takes up around the space of two 50 round boxes of ammo. If you take an average pistol powder charge of 4 grains, you can load approximately 1.7k rounds.

Pistol bullets might take up a bit more space than a couple of 50 round boxes.

Cases were picked up from my own range sessions or stuff that others just left on the ground.

Most people won’t reload by the tens of thousands of rounds per year. They don’t need a fancy progressive press with a bunch of doodads. So for about the cost of a thousand factory loaded 45 ACP round’s in 2005-ish, I had all the equipment that I needed to get started reloading.

That's all well and good but when you have loaded and shot all you accumulated what is your cost going to be per round then? A lot of people are in that scenario now.

I have a decent supply of components, but when I use them I have to replace them. So I use current component pricing to figure whether it's worth it or not. At this time it's basically a wash soley because of primer cost. That's the only thing making me buy ammo that I could load. I choose to use the components I have for more expensive calibers than 9mm. Real world cost is $0.08-0.10 (or more) for primers. Kinda kills the whole deal for common mass produced calibers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom