Got a job question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinray649

Marksman
Reaction score
I have a question actually a couple that have been causing me a real problem in trying to find a job. I have a BS in computer science with 35 years of experience. I have been out of a job now for a year and all savings are gone. I had a job interview this week at a call center. The interviewer asked if I thought I was way over qualified for the position. I was asked about retirement plans since I can retire in June 2011. Since I am over qualified for the position how do they know if offered a position I would not bail out if a job in my field were to open up. What can a person say to this in order to get a job. The last interview I had in my field was 4 months ago. There were 2 positions with 61 people who applied for the positions. Considering the current job picture what the living hell is a person to do?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a question actually a couple that have been causing me a real problem in trying to find a job. I have a BS in computer science with 35 years of experience. I have been out of a job now for a year and all savings are gone. I had a job interview this week at a call center. The interviewer asked if I thought I was way over qualified for the position. I was asked about retirement plans since I can retire in June 2011. Since I am over qualified for the position how do they know if offered a position I would not bail out if a job in my field were to open up. What can a person say to this in order to get a job. The last interview I had in my field was 4 months ago. There were 2 positions with 61 people who applied for the positions. Considering the current job picture what the living hell is a person to do?

How do you respond to those questions?

Barrett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have to have some pre-prepared replies to those questions to keep from putting one's self into a corner.

Of course they need to be vague and ambiguous with some buzz words to help build the fog.

I would start with something like: "In direct response to the question of my qualifications, I have provided an extensive list of skills and previous experience, is there an area of concern with my qualifications?" :rubhands:

This puts the heat back on your interviewer, then follow up with "Do I understand you correctly, you are seeking someone to fill a position that is less than prepared or has less aptitude or a weaker or narrower skill set?" :faint:

You could insert a joke, like: "I didn't plan on taking over the company or advancing to the top in a short amount of time:lmfao:" (depends on how good you are at reading people)

As to bailing: "In regards to my seeking another source of employment during or after securing a position with your company/firm/establishment I do not foresee myself continuing with the search for employment oppourtunites further, fully aware of my pending retirement plans, although should my employment with your (*wax nice, this is bait*) I could possibly see me extending my employment beyond my previous plans...":blush:

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The truth. "I'm just looking for a job,any job in or near my field,as my options are slowly being limited. I dont feel that I am overqualified for the position. My experience actually would enable me to be an asset to the position".

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The truth. "I'm just looking for a job,any job in or near my field,as my options are slowly being limited. I dont feel that I am overqualified for the position. My experience actually would enable me to be an asset to the position".

Was gonna post something real similar to this.
If you need a job, let them know.
It's an employers market.

deja

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This puts the heat back on your interviewer, then follow up with "Do I understand you correctly, you are seeking someone to fill a position that is less than prepared or has less aptitude or a weaker or narrower skill set?"
I don't think this is going to cause the interviewer much pause. It's an openly acknowledged fact that companies will sometimes seek candidates with weaker skillsets, because it gives them two advantages: longer loyalty to the job, and it's cheaper to hire someone who is qualified at the same level as the job requires.

I recently asked the question of a company that was interviewing me: "I notice from your staff that you typically have very senior members in the field working for you, with typical education levels at post-grad and over 8 years of experience, so what makes you go out to recruit someone like me, who has much less experience, and only a bachelor's?"

Unabashed, the answer was "well, we at times look for new entries to the field because we can get a good value out of someone looking to get their foot in the door".

OU Gunner

Marksman
Reaction score
I would state that you have had several jobs in the industry and you want to work in the areas that you particularly like. It may be reduced responsibilities from previous positions yet provide you the most job satisfaction.

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the obstacle for 'overqualified' applicants is primarily the interviewer's fear that you could replace him/her. If you can demonstrate that, while you possess a skill set that may meet or exceed that of the interviewer, your primary goal is to secure gainful employment. Any aspirations for advancement are secondary and you will be content to do anything asked of you in order to benefit the organization.

Latest posts

Top Bottom