Got out a trap line today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With all the coons and cats I've geen getting pics of, decided to set out a trap line this am.
Put out 4 live traps, three for coons and one for bobcat.
Two drowning set traps for some beaver that have been knocking down trees, and a dozen leg holds for cat, and or coon.
I have some loose hay in the barn that the rodents are in, and some of their nests, so took it and put it as a cover on some of the cat leg holds. Hopefully that will attract them.

The pic is a bobcat set. The cat has been walking across the log, leaving tracks in the snow, so setting a trap there might produce something if the trash will stay out of it.
Can't wait untill morning to see what we have got ;D

[Broken External Image]

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That looks like the BEST opossum/skunk setup I've ever seen...! I know, I'm an expert, that's all I could ever catch..!

:w000t:

Do you do the boiling, dying and waxing like some folk..?

Whatever you catch, you need to try the air method of skinning, let us know how it works.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Next weekend I am getting a half dozen or so leg traps set out. I got to get them all ready to go!

I love looking at trap set pics! Post up some more! lol You can never have too many examples!

Edit..I hit 500 posts!

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put out two cat cages today, hope to catch a few before the fur buyer comes back through. I caught one cat last Saturday, my first ever in a trap. Good luck to everyone that's trapping this year!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After reading some of your posts I bought some live traps.
I just need to get them put out. :(
Good luck filling them up.

Thanks! I've been doing the trapping thing for a couple of years, but I'm still a noob with no mentor to show the ropes. Just learned some things from folks on this forum and another forum or two.:D
I'm really anticipating some beaver in the am as they were a perfect set.
At the same time coons are really stupid and easy to catch.

An old trapper told me that before you can catch the targeted animal, you have to catch the trash.
Trash being coons, skunks, possums, etc.
So, no matter what you do, keep trapping. It may seem that your only catching trash, but the trash, is what are called nest robbers that eat the quail and pheasant eggs.
Good luck on your trapping! If you have issues, post them up. I have issues as well, and maybe together along with some of the predator guru's, we can all learn some info.:D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what do you all end up doing if you get a skunk in ur live trap?

slowly walk up to the live trap with a small tarp that is unfolded, and slowly drop the tarp over the trap. Open the door and wedge it open with a stick and:bolt:
When they get out, shoot them with a .22, making sure your upwind, as they will spray at this time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom