Got the game warden called on me...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a habitual backroad creeper. I'm out every morning having my coffee, just seeing what is going on. Every evening I have another route that I take. Had been getting reports of a big buck on the other side of the river of the ranch I live on, so I have been frequenting that place quite a bit the last few days. Apparently I drew a little attention being parked on the side of the road, which isn't really surprising. All the characteristics of a road hunter, aside from the gun, but I actually have permission to hunt the land that I am watching. So yesterday morning a truck drives by and I recognized his truck (known outlaw) and I could tell he was checking me out, but he went on about his way without stopping and talking. Sometime during the day, he makes a call to the game warden and reports me for road hunting. Claimed that I was driving down the road with a gun hanging out the window. For one thing, I was parked, could hear him coming down the gravel road for 1/4 mile, was not in possesion of a gun, and would have been an idiot to stick around if I were actually doing something wrong. So the game warden visits the ranch owner's house last night to report to him that someone was roadhunting on him across the river and gets his permission to put out a decoy this morning to do a sting operation. Ranch owner agrees, then calls to tell me about it. I easily put two and two together and begin to laugh about it and told him it was me over there. He proceeds to tell me the details that were told to the GW that I was sitting there with a gun hanging out the window. Then I got mad. It is one thing to make an honest call to the GW to report poaching, but another thing to call and lie about what is going on to make yourself sound more credible. So ranch owner calls the GW back to tell him he knows who it is, that I'm not road hunting, and that I have permission to hunt over there all I want. GW chuckles and said he figured that's what the situation was and that he would like to meet me anyway. GW said that anyone that drives the backroads regularly and isn't doing anything wrong is more of an asset than a liability cause there is a chance that I could be the one that sees the actual poachers out roadhunting. So after all of that, I am a little ticked off, and I go sit at my usual spot this morning, hoping to either see the GW or the guy that reported me. Sure enough, 7:05, I hear gravel popping from 1/4 mile off and here comes the guy that turned me in. Of course he didn't stop just to ask me what I was doing and just goes past, then proceeds to call the ranch owner to report me being over there again. Ranch owner proceeds to tell him I'm not huntin, I ain't hurtin anything, I've got keys and permission to be over there but thanks for the call. That just pisses the guy off even more and he hangs up. End of story... I hope.

I'm not mad in the least about being reported for "suspicious" activity. I'm glad neighboring landowners would make the effort to call in a suspicious vehicle. But when they falsify the report, knowingly, and maliciously lie about what they saw because of their own motivations, I think that is less than honorable. Maybe if he knew I was already tagged out for the season on bucks he wouldn't be so apprehensive about my being there. I just wanna see the big buck, not shoot it from the road. If I were going to poach it, I would use my key to unlock the gate, drive back to the more likely spot where it is, and bust its ass without being seen. So that is my morning rant...

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sucks, I had a similar situation a few years ago, my dad and me were just driving around looking for deer on new year's eve. We had no gun, just wanted to see em. We saw a big buck and my dad stops the car and points at him. I guess farmer joe saw dad's arm and thought it was a rifle. He followed us home and about 45 min later the game warden showed up. The guy reported that he saw a gun and HEARD A SHOT! Also that he saw the deer fall. The warden went with him out to the land to look for the deer. Of course, no deer, because as much as I idolize my old man, he CAN'T SHOOT BULLETS FROM HIS FINGERS. Wish he could, that would rock.

Red Earth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He was just mad you were creeping in on his poaching land!!! How dare you! :naughty:

I know our local GW appreciates locals calling in spot lighters and poachers.... his county is way to large for one man to be a deterrence. But he does get quite a few every year!

How stupid can the would be poacher be!! Now his spot is going to be targeted because he reported you! Unless he has alternative plans...set up the GW in one area while he works another! Usually those who plan to break the law are not that intelligent though!

PJ

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Usually those who plan to break the law are not that intelligent though!

PJ

2 Words: Danny Ocean

ai33.photobucket.com_albums_d66_TylorSchmidt_DannyOcean.jpg

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ah who knows, maybe being a good citizen... pffffttttt...

He has asked repeatedly for the last 5 years to hunt this property, which is a wide open hay meadow btw, when he has some great timber that borders it and the river, and is turned down every time. I think there is a little greed and envy in there that motivated him, but I can't say that for sure. He has a great spot, just wants more more more.

Why is he reporting you? To make himself look like the good guy as a cover for his poaching?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ah who knows, maybe being a good citizen... pffffttttt...

He has asked repeatedly for the last 5 years to hunt this property, which is a wide open hay meadow btw, when he has some great timber that borders it and the river, and is turned down every time. I think there is a little greed and envy in there that motivated him, but I can't say that for sure. He has a great spot, just wants more more more.

What is it with the locals in that area. I've got land just east of Daisy and the locals think they can hunt any damn place they want, any time they want, and whether it's hunting season or not. Put some beer into them and they are just batchit crazy too.

This is a guy to my west and north with 275 acres and you can put a lot of hunters in there without any of them getting stepped on (it's really thick and rough, no long shots here). But they think they own the whole freaking mountain. A friend owns 60 right beside mine and these azzhats tried to tell him they had it leased and that he had to leave. :screwy:

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounded like the qualifying factor is having a rifle in the truck. Is one not allowed to drive in Oklahoma with a rifle in his truck?

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounded like the qualifying factor is having a rifle in the truck. Is one not allowed to drive in Oklahoma with a rifle in his truck?

You have every right to have an unloaded rifle in your vehicle nemesis. I happened to have taken mine out this weekend and didn't have it with me. I'm not sure how other people see that, but to me, it is a tool, much like a pocket knife or pair of pliers. Both of which I never go without. Just because you are equipped to roadhunt, does not mean you are.

Latest posts

Top Bottom