Gotta start somewhere...BBQ

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want to give it a shot eventually. As a little kid growing up in Wisconsin I remember we would save up and get smoked salmon sometimes. So good.

One of the best times I ever had at a bar was in Walden Colorado, was working up there. Cash only, Beer only, it was a chilly night. They had a bar dog laying in front of the fire, I was drinking beers in front of the fire. Some guy came by giving out a bunch of freshly home smoked salmon, crackers, and some sort of jam his wife made. Got trashed in front of a fire with smoked salmon snacks and a bunch of strangers. Was a great time.
Sounds like it was fun! Mango pepper jam/jelly is pairs well

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We love to eat smoked fish. Depends on what we catch, leave bone in. Salmon jerky is pretty good especially marinated in blueberries and cranberries! Does anyone else here? Smoke fish?
Yes, I'll occasionally put on a salmon fillet for the wife when I've got the smoker going. I'm not much of a salmon eater but she loves it. Similar to what HoLeChit did - smoked salmon, crackers, sour cream, capers, tiny sprig of dill. I can eat it that way but would prefer fried walleye!

We made some mango/jalapeno jelly last year and it's great on just about anything! Never tried on fish.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ribs or bust...first 2 racks in the smoker. Going with original plan of 3-2-1 for this first round just to see.

Using Rendezvous seasoning
https://hogsfly.com/order/rendezvous-seasoning/
Rendezvous is a cool place if you haven't been. Worked with one of Charlie's nephews and would go there when in Memphis on business.

We don't like as much salt as some rubs have so like to mix our own.
Original: 8 T of each: salt, sugar, brown sugar, ground cumin, chili powder, fresh ground black pepper, 4 T cayenne pepper, 16 T paprika

Adjusted: 8 T of each: sugar, brown sugar, ground cumin, smoked paprika, regular paprika, 4 T of each: salt, chile powder, ancho chile powder, 2 T of each: granulated garlic, cayenne

Anxious to see the results!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I'll occasionally put on a salmon fillet for the wife when I've got the smoker going. I'm not much of a salmon eater but she loves it. Similar to what HoLeChit did - smoked salmon, crackers, sour cream, capers, tiny sprig of dill. I can eat it that way but would prefer fried walleye!

We made some mango/jalapeno jelly last year and it's great on just about anything! Never tried on fish.
Found this salmon on a cedar plank at the store yesterday. It’s not a real smoked fish, but when the wood chars, it does put a smoky flavor to it.

IMG_1918.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom