GPS for hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the map and compass folks, where do you get your topo maps? I've been looking over the topos available from the USGS, but I'd love to hear your opinions.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the map and compass folks, where do you get your topo maps? I've been looking over the topos available from the USGS, but I'd love to hear your opinions.

Picked them up at Triangle, on 41st st east of Sheridan. That was a long time ago. I'm not sure if they're still in business as I haven't been there for many years.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's replies.

I also spent some time reading about how to use an Apple device as a GPS (satellite, not ground-based). It seems it's actually pretty capable, provided you get an app that allows downloaded maps. I found this article:
http://adventurealan.com/iphone4gps.htm

One of the apps he mentions, Maplets, is an extremely cool idea. I bought it (it's $3), but have yet to successfully post my own maps. I've also put in requests for the Oklahoma's WMA maps to be added. I'll report back on any progress.

Another app I found, which I find to be flat out awesome, is OnX Hunt, which I'm running on an iPad 4. The app is free, and you get a free six-day trial with the maps/features. There's a $30 annual fee (price on their website is lower than the in-app purchase) for each state you choose. There's USGS and ESRI topo and imagery, plus open source street maps with WMA and public land boundaries overlayed. I tinkered with it a couple days, then went ahead and paid the $30 for Oklahoma.

I'd still like to have a stand-alone GPS though, particularly one designed with a little more field-friendly ruggedness. I'll check out these Garmin models.

zirrow

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My eTrex was recently stolen from my truck, so I replaced it with a 62st. Seems pretty solid, the interface is easier to use than my old one, and the screen is great, even in broad daylight. As mentioned, a good old-fashioned compass & extra batteries need to be carried as well.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always used a Garmin Etrex, this was before phone app GPS but they are still more reliable. I don't get to hunt anymore so I keep my Etrex with my bug out bag. I take it out occasionally to update it but that's about it...which reminds me, I need to take it out and update it.

The Garmin is pretty hard to beat as a hunting aid. It came in extremely handy for finding tree stands in unfamiliar areas, marking areas where scrapes were found and remembering good places to set up season after season. They offer a lot of extras on top of that now and are a lot cheaper than when I bought mine. Money well spent in my opinion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom