gravity feed deer feeders???????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwg77

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one ASF 2000 lb., low profile gravity feeder on skids and one ASF 1000 lb. corn broadcast feeder inside of a hog pen. I only have one camera going now (long story), but the deer seem to like gravity feed much better than jumping a hog fence to get corn. The coons mostly eat what the deer dribble on the ground, but at least one has figured out how to get inside the chute. There is an adjustable plate held on with wing nuts inside each chute. I see about one hog every two weeks walk by this one.
View attachment 393392
Will add another data point to this thread. I added this 2000 lb feeder at the end of November, 2022. I live 1000-ish miles away, so I did not get back until the end of May this year. At that point, I filled it with Record Rack 20% protein feed from Tractor Supply. The deer, coons, and hogs finished what was present in the trays or dribbled on the ground a few days ago - roughly 3.5 months to empty it.

So, it seems the tray types slows the deer down over the feed chute type w/o a timer on them. With these, they have to crank their head sideways to eat, vs just shoving their snout in the chute.

Thankfully, I have a great neighbor. Sent him cash for a ton+ of corn to fill this feeder and his. Switched to corn as that's what my neighbor uses, and the TS stores in the area were basically out of protein deer feed (per their store websites).

Thinking of adding another one of these when I come back in November (after limiting on rifle season). ASF makes them with 3000 or 4500 lb capacity also. Would definitely need to go with mainly corn for those. I got lucky in May and discovered the McAlester Tractor Supply had enough protein to sell by the pallet. The store associate said they stock more deer feed than most TS as they get lots of folks from Texas coming through on their way to hunt in OK.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will add another data point to this thread. I added this 2000 lb feeder at the end of November, 2022. I live 1000-ish miles away, so I did not get back until the end of May this year. At that point, I filled it with Record Rack 20% protein feed from Tractor Supply. The deer, coons, and hogs finished what was present in the trays or dribbled on the ground a few days ago - roughly 3.5 months to empty it.

So, it seems the tray types slows the deer down over the feed chute type w/o a timer on them. With these, they have to crank their head sideways to eat, vs just shoving their snout in the chute.

Thankfully, I have a great neighbor. Sent him cash for a ton+ of corn to fill this feeder and his. Switched to corn as that's what my neighbor uses, and the TS stores in the area were basically out of protein deer feed (per their store websites).

Thinking of adding another one of these when I come back in November (after limiting on rifle season). ASF makes them with 3000 or 4500 lb capacity also. Would definitely need to go with mainly corn for those. I got lucky in May and discovered the McAlester Tractor Supply had enough protein to sell by the pallet. The store associate said they stock more deer feed than most TS as they get lots of folks from Texas coming through on their way to hunt in OK.
I’ve mentioned it before, but you might also consider the Tractor Supply 13% All Stock feed. Until Atwoods and TS got in a price war recently, it’s been cheaper than corn, and the deer here in east Texas and NW Oklahoma eat it really well.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do deer like salt lick and mineral blocks? Are they good to leave out by the feeders?
I'm basically a newbie at this. But, I have a couple of salt licks about 15 yards from the gravity feeder. It's at the edge of my camera view, but I'm sure the deer hit the salt the same time they get a feeder snack.

The owners before me had a small feeder where the salt lick/wallow is. The hogs had dug holes there over the years. I got tired of hauling Mule loads of dirt to the holes and thought "Dang, those spots would make a great lick". Made the best of that situation 😄

About every time I get a $10 reward from somewhere and don't know what to spend it on, I throw a natural salt block in the cart. Then, pitch the block in the hole when I get back to the ranch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom