Great salt plains - crystal digging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We’ve been doing the state parks passport book with our youngin. I was not exactly sold on digging around in a dry lake bed, but we had a ball. Take plenty of water for rinsing and excavating . Big hats, long sleeves and sunscreen are way up on the list. Plenty of drinks for hydration. Sunglasses too. Lots of glare from the ground like snow. Be patient and have fun. I got more milage from a stiff bristle brush and little trowel than a shovel. Remember, they might not all be huge clusters but to the kids they’re all treasures. The wife reminded me that a little tarp or something to sit on and boxes to haul out the loot. I’m sure I’m forgetting something but that’s the high spots.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Screenshot_20230418-002917.png
Screenshot_20230418-002234.png

Screenshot_20230418-003107.png

Just pick a hole and dig until you hit paydirt. The water table is so high that you can just rinse the crystals off in the sinkhole haha.
Every teenager and kid that went with us filled a mason jar with the "cool" crystals and left me with what's pictured. I have them around here somewhere. Probably in a mason jar.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just wanted to update this thread to say we had a great time! Thanks to everyone who contributed.
Glad you enjoyed the day. I've never dug, but have walked out on the surface where they are dug.
There are some very beautiful clusters at the SP office lobby. Some very large.

Latest posts

Top Bottom