Grendel questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, the barrel threads are also different (5/8"x24 on the .300blk vs 1/2"x28 on the 5.56)... so it also takes a different flash-hider (or whatever).

Just thought of it a bit ago and checked, but you guys probably already knew that.
:drunk2:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, the barrel threads are also different (5/8"x24 on the .300blk vs 1/2"x28 on the 5.56)... so it also takes a different flash-hider (or whatever).

Just thought of it a bit ago and checked, but you guys probably already knew that.
:drunk2:
Been reading up on it over on the Grendel forum. There is some good info there. Some guys have ditched the FH and just running thread protectors.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My 6.5 will run Pmags, but I can only get about 7 in a 30 before it swells too much to go into my lower
Shouldn’t 7.62x39 mags run ok? If so, I think I might try that. The ACS mags, or whatever, are aluminum and I prefer a pmag if I can use one.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 6.5 will run Pmags, but I can only get about 7 in a 30 before it swells too much to go into my lower

That's the common complaint that I've heard about them. People say they can typically load 5-7 rounds in them without issue, but they will tend to swell. I've also heard to never leave them loaded in a Pmag, or they'll swell permanently. I'll stick with Elanders.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I removed my flash hiders and muzzle brakes that I had on AR's and bolt guns.
Too loud from behind the gun without hearing protection and if you are hunting it can blow dirt everywhere and my eyes are sensitive to dirt :)
Not only that but I got some hard carbon build up on the crown of my rifles and I shoot for utmost accuracy and that hurt that aspect.
Thread protectors or nothing on my threaded barrels now.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been reading up on it over on the Grendel forum. There is some good info there. Some guys have ditched the FH and just running thread protectors.

I pulled a FH off my AR-10 and put a compensator on it to try to help with muzzle rise, the FH I pulled off the AR-10 worked perfect on the Grendel.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Exactly. Why does anyone need a flash suppressor on a range, or hunting gun? They don’t eliminate muzzle flash, just suppress it somewhat and by design help to eliminate “some” dust signature.
They have a purpose and for 99% of non tactical purposes they aren’t needed.

Brakes on the other hand can certainly control muzzle rise to the extent there is none. Great for rifle competition but your friends next to you at the range may not be your friends any longer. Lol