Gun ID question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremiah

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can someone help me out with this? I'm trying to identify this gun. I haven't been able to see it in person yet, but I should be able to on Saturday.

It's at an auction and I was hoping to find out about how much it's worth.

[Broken External Image]

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you know if its percussion or pin fire?? The reason I ask is that it looks like a pin fire revolver or an early percussion(cap and ball) model. Just my opinion....looks like an European made gun......German/Belgian.......maybe even British?????

Cohiba

racing1g

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 for Rod Snell looks like a 1860's Lefaucheux pin-fire revolver. They made em 1860's to 1890's I believe. Some were in 9mm but not many ($$$$), most were 7mm. NRA did an article on them awhile back, said it was the gun Custer used at the last stand.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would guess the Leufaucheux as others have said. These were actually very popular in their day since they were a cartridge gun as opposed to cap and ball. On the battlefield they were a huge timesaver when the other dudes were shooting at you. That era is very interesting. People wanted cartridge guns but the patent was tied up in legal battles. Colt was offered the patent for bored-thru cylinders from the inventor but they opted not to take it (stupid move) so Smith & Wesson bought the rights. Colt had to wait years before they could legally market a cartridge revolver. Remington made them but had to pay S&W $1.00 for every gun they sold. Fun stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom