Gun safe help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We got a birthday party today so probably gonna have to mess with it tomorrow. I’ll get some better pics and stuff this evening. Thanks for all the advice so far!

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a very helpful post.
“Combos” I’m going to guess that you mean mechanical? I favor them also but I hate to break it to you... they have their issues also.

OP. cannon uses crummy locks. Do a little research on the one you have and see if others have had issues with your particular version. Cannon I think offsets a lot of the locks from keypads so retrofitting a mechanical might be a no go unless your super handy and mechanically minded.

AMSEC makes a good electronic but stay clear of the esl5 series. They had a chip supplier problem a couple years back on that model.
You dont say. Electronic locks have FAR more problems than "Mechanical" locks. Youre one of those guys that insists its a magazine and not clip aren't ya

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You dont say. Electronic locks have FAR more problems than "Mechanical" locks. Youre one of those guys that insists its a magazine and not clip aren't ya
Again, Not a very helpful post. You can input a "combo" into electronic and mechanical locks. Its not Jargon. Its a word associated with a direct meaning. In person I'd probably never correct someone regarding "clip vs mag". Here we are not only engaging in conversation but are producing archived content for future readers. For that reason yes, where we are discussing technical questions I do try to be clear and use proper terms.

Like I said previously... It is my opinion that Cannon uses crappy E-locks just like some companies use crappy mechanical locks. A person is best advised choosing the type and model of which ever suits their needs and budget while still understanding the trade offs.

Fact. Good electronic locks have fewer issues that result in a lockout situation. That is direct info from the former AMSEC engineer Tony who designed their original model decades ago. He goes by "theSafeGuy" on arfcom and has posted a ton there. Anyone who enjoys that type of stuff I highly suggest you read the entire thread with his name in it. I also have a state alarm license and industry experience.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go get a 300 Watt soldering iron and some good thin non-acid solder. I picked one up at Harbor Freight for around 3 bucks. It's good for electronic work because it doesn't get too hot and melt everything around the work site.

HumanVr4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can remove the metal pin from the connector, you can try to unbend how it holds the wire and redo it, or if you need in the safe like right now, just strip the wire more and push it back in the connector.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well cannon wasn’t much help. I tried soldering the wire back in but still not enough power. Only some of the buttons work and I don’t get the error beeps when I input a wrong code. I’m will just have to wait until the new keypad comes in and see if it works with it.

after that I can try to replace the actual connector. If that doesn’t work, looks like I will have to get a locksmith.

Latest posts

Top Bottom