Gun Safe Moving Tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looked at some hand trucks rated for 1600+ pounds and they ain't cheap. Might just call a couple moving companies and see about the cost of them doing all the work. Not sure yet though. I'd really like to not drop this dude on my tile floor.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The moving men disks are awesome. I have a bunch of them if you wanted to give them a try. I've got ones for tile/wood floors and carpet.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
once gun safe is on the same level floor as final location. rolling it on two pipes, balls, sliders, etc is no problems.

it's getting the 1,000+ lb safe over thresholds, steps, etc. that I cannot figure out how to do without specialized moving equipment.

with specialized safe moving dollys... not a big deal... but what's the safest way to move 1,000+ lb safes over steps without specialized gear?

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v627_a1abdj_DSCN2548.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO6FJQoi0H8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_a2xYaj1ew

This is from another thread posting:

Originally Posted by ekdkdk1 View Post
my recomendation is always 1" schedule 80 pvc pipe. use two pipe only. cut them 19" . tip up safe from side. stick roller under edge. and push " min effort"
when roller hits middle of safe. it will pivot. have wife/friend place second roller right under edge of safe.. push.. when first roller kicks out the back. rotate it to the front. if you need to make a turn. set a roller at a 45 and the safe will almost turn itself. this is the cheapest system and the safest. from a guy who moves safes for a living.

Seems like getting over threshold and a porch step(s) would be difficult too.

ekdkdk1

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
on the roller aspect. this is what you do when you come across SMALL steps or thresholds. cut a piece of 3/4 plywood about 28" wide and 5 foot long. when you come across thresholds. lay the board over the threshold and roll it over. same with small steps. but with steps and depending the weight on safe, it might be smart to block under the board to steady the ramp.

the moving dollies shown in the above picture are great. but they are heavy,they add a min of 3' to the overall length of the safe which can cause issues making turns down hallways

gold balls scare me a little simple because you are not able to control where they go go under the safe. if the balls roll off center you could create a tipping issue. it can be done and would be easy to roll. but you would need a LOT of golf balls.

we have custom made tools and dollies to move safes. in our over 33 years of experience. but at the end of the day. nothing is safer than the pipe. and if you are going across tile or wood. cut 3 or 4 28" wide 5' long boards down like a track system for the rollers to move across.distribute the weight more so less likely to damage tile

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thank YOU!

3/4in plywood 5ft long sounds like the ticket to get over thresholds.

on the roller aspect. this is what you do when you come across SMALL steps or thresholds. cut a piece of 3/4 plywood about 28" wide and 5 foot long. when you come across thresholds. lay the board over the threshold and roll it over. same with small steps. but with steps and depending the weight on safe, it might be smart to block under the board to steady the ramp.

the moving dollies shown in the above picture are great. but they are heavy,they add a min of 3' to the overall length of the safe which can cause issues making turns down hallways

gold balls scare me a little simple because you are not able to control where they go go under the safe. if the balls roll off center you could create a tipping issue. it can be done and would be easy to roll. but you would need a LOT of golf balls.

we have custom made tools and dollies to move safes. in our over 33 years of experience. but at the end of the day. nothing is safer than the pipe. and if you are going across tile or wood. cut 3 or 4 28" wide 5' long boards down like a track system for the rollers to move across.distribute the weight more so less likely to damage tile

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pros use oak backed nylon skids to spread the weight as evenly as possible. Tile, unless it's really down flat, can crack from heavy dolly wheels. I paid a pro $150 three years ago to move my safe. It was the guy who, I think, does it for H&H, and it was worth every penny. CB

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fairly wide? Mine is roughly 50" tall and 40" wide I believe and 22"-24" deep. Was a pain making the one turn while on a dolly...

How much does your safe weigh? 1600# is a LOT of weight for a "dolly" unless you have an actual safe dolly.

You're not talking about a 400# fridge.

Slick strips or PVC is your best bet. Never tried the golf balls,

Latest posts

Top Bottom