Handgun caliber for bear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Of the 4 listed, which would you choose for bear defense in mid-June Montana?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The more bullets the better. Once I was turkey hunting and came around one side of a evergreen and a mt. lion came around the other side. I think I shot five rounds of 12 gauge and six rounds of 357 in about 2.5 seconds. hit it with one round at a distance of less than ten feet.
Did you soil your undies too?

That surely would be a eye opener!

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know single actions have been used for a couple hundred years as a self defense weapon, but given a choice, I sure wouldn‘t choose one over a double action.
Somewhere I gut a gun magizine from 20 years (or more) ago, and the guy was a preditor hunter. If I remember correctly he got paid by government to hunt nuicence preditors (bears and mountain lions) that killed livestock, ect.

He prefered a single action over a double action. His reasoning that he could run and load without risking dumping the whole cylinder full.

Think he was using a ruger

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of like that idea. I’d wager that 2 legged animals are more dangerous than the other kind. Makes sense to have a 00 shell in the chamber for either. If that doesn’t end it, then slugs it is.
On patrol my 870 was an alternated loading of 00 Buck, slug, buck, slug, buck, slug, rinse, repeat.
Ain't nothing parts a crowd of people like an 870 racking a round.

Latest posts

Top Bottom