Handgun caliber for bear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Of the 4 listed, which would you choose for bear defense in mid-June Montana?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We will be taking a trip mid-June of this year to Montana. On the itinerary is travel to Glacier National Park and we will be staying on the Swan River near Bigfork. I have the four options available to me handgun-wise for hiking and other outdoor activities. Which would you choose? Personal bear encounter stories are welcome. I am NOT buying another gun for this trip, so please keep the “you should get a ____” out of any replies.
I also plan to take a Mossberg stuffed with 8-9 slugs for around the rental house, but I’m just mainly curious about ya’lls choice for a sidearm. Let’s hear what you have to say, and yeah, I realize this topic is beat to death already, but it’s fun to vote, right?

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought the Ruger GP in 10 mm for hiking. I have a Redhawk in 44mag, but it’s heavy. I always carry a 9mm on hikes, so the big gun is just for emergency. I like the revolver better for that.
B7EC4260-680C-4553-9CE1-EE567AD5E0E9.jpeg

mmerrill

It makes sense if you don't think about it.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought the Ruger GP in 10 mm for hiking. I have a Redhawk in 44mag, but it’s heavy. I always carry a 9mm on hikes, so the big gun is just for emergency. I like the revolver better for that.
View attachment 333066
The things you didn't know you needed in your life until you see them.

LittleLoggie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock 20 or 40 with 15 rounds of 10mm :)

Definitely. I would also have it in chest rig, and run at least a box through it of the hot stuff before the trip.

Also get a bell to hang off your bag and bear spray. Shooting a bear in a national park even in self defense is going to come with some problems if caught by a ranger.

Latest posts

Top Bottom