Handgun Calibers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clampett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a Kahr TP or P Series Handgun. Would be for Self Defense, but Probably not a gun I'd Carry. Only Problem is that the Larger Kahrs only come in .45 Auto, .40 S&W, and 9mm.

Any feedback on the above 3 calibers would be helpful. (stopping power, ammo cost, etc.). Depending on the stats you read, the 45 obviously throws more weight, but the other 2 are higher velocity and bring "supposedly" just as much punch in certains loads.

Bullbuster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I carried a M9 for several years while working military police and loved it. However I carry a S&W .40 for PP as well as a .38 depending on attire I'm wearing.
The 9mm is always going to be your cheapest ammo to buy but its all up to the person and what they feel comfertable handling and shooting accuretly. The .40 is in the middle and ammo isn't that expensive or hard to find one reason I chose it for my carry piece.
But with the right defense loads all 3 will do the same job but the higher cal will afford a hit result for a not so well placed shot.
Its one thing to center punch at the range its another when your life is on the line. You can't go wrong with good ammo, a big bullet and a well placed shot.
Take to the range and try all 3 and see what fits you best.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a Kahr TP or P Series Handgun. Would be for Self Defense, but Probably not a gun I'd Carry. Only Problem is that the Larger Kahrs only come in .45 Auto, .40 S&W, and 9mm.

Any feedback on the above 3 calibers would be helpful. (stopping power, ammo cost, etc.). Depending on the stats you read, the 45 obviously throws more weight, but the other 2 are higher velocity and bring "supposedly" just as much punch in certains loads.

Before someone comes on here showing charts as to which one expands the most. Lets get one thing straight. Unless your shooting a highpower rifle at someone, even thats iffy, there is no such thing as stopping power, or knock down power. Out of a handgun hollowpoints MAY expand!! Its not a given, nor is there any majic bullet out there that will work 100% of the time.

OK, now to the gun. You want one that is accurate, or as accurate as you can handle. Your first concern is shot placement, you have to be able to put those bullets where they will do the most damage. Second you want a round that will go deep enough to cause that damage to the lungs, arteries, and central nervous system. Third is where the hollowpoints come in, remember they may work, if they do good, if not you want to make sure if they fail that your ammo/bullet has enough force to punch into the vital areas.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before someone comes on here showing charts as to which one expands the most. Lets get one thing straight. Unless your shooting a highpower rifle at someone, even thats iffy, there is no such thing as stopping power, or knock down power. Out of a handgun hollowpoints MAY expand!! Its not a given, nor is there any majic bullet out there that will work 100% of the time.

OK, now to the gun. You want one that is accurate, or as accurate as you can handle. Your first concern is shot placement, you have to be able to put those bullets where they will do the most damage. Second you want a round that will go deep enough to cause that damage to the lungs, arteries, and central nervous system. Third is where the hollowpoints come in, remember they may work, if they do good, if not you want to make sure if they fail that your ammo/bullet has enough force to punch into the vital areas.

I don't think it can be said any better than that. :thanku:

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

+1

I love the term "stopping power" or "knock-down" power. Anyone who hunts knows that you're not trying to knock down the animal you're hunting to "stop" them, you're trying to put a big-ass hole through a vital area in them - then they pretty much can't run away (or in the case of an attacker, they don't have enough energy to continue attacking you).

Also, keep in mind that the large-frame Kahrs are still just single-stacks (if I'm not mistaken) so you're paying a premium price for one (since there aren't that many of them floating around) and you're still at limited capacity for the size/weight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom