Handgun Sites

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Right-On-Target

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always considered myself a “good” marksman with a handgun, especially with my own handguns. Of late when shooting in indoor ranges (which are not the best lit) I have had more difficulty seeing my front sites than I could in my younger days.

Many of the newer hand guns have white or orange front sites and I like them! I don’t want to shed my 50+ year old pistols, but hitting the target is becoming more important as time endures.

Does anyone know of a gunsmith that can professionally add bright color to the front sites of older handguns?

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always considered myself a “good” marksman with a handgun, especially with my own handguns. Of late when shooting in indoor ranges (which are not the best lit) I have had more difficulty seeing my front sites than I could in my younger days.

Many of the newer hand guns have white or orange front sites and I like them! I don’t want to shed my 50+ year old pistols, but hitting the target is becoming more important as time endures.

Does anyone know of a gunsmith that can professionally add bright color to the front sites of older handguns?

I find color to be more of a distraction than a help to attain a sharp sight picture. Could be that instead you need a pair of shooting-purpose glasses that will let your eyes sharply focus on the front sight. By sharp I mean able to see the lint down in the serrations of the front sight. If you already wear glasses or contacts, consider if you can see the front sight crisply with your head in a comfortable, proper shooting position. Good shooting glasses make all the difference.

These shooting glasses need not be expensive. Simply use an "experienced" larger sized glasses frame you have stuck away in a drawer. Have your eye doc write a script for the distance from your eyes to the front sight of a typical handgun; about 30" for many. For a good safety/cost blend, consider OSHA rated "E" hard coated plastic lens. These are thicker than an ordinary plastic lens. I like a light amber tint for all around use. Put this new script into the entire dominant eye lens. Leave the non-dominant eye script with your normal everyday script, even if it includes a bifocal. This works well.

Right-On-Target

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, Folks, before I posted this thread I would have absolutely been against doing anything to my 51 year old Colt that was not professional grade, but the white out idea intrigued me. I took some paint masking tape, very carefully masked around the front site, applied the white out, and though skeptical through the whole process, I have to say that’s just what the doctor ordered.

Sometimes it’s the simple things in life we overlook.

Many thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom