Handgun suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watchcollector1968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might take her to Sports World...they have a large selection and she can hold different ones to see what works for her.

My wife has fairly small hands. At first she liked the small Kel-Tec 9mm because she could grip it so well...after firing it, she hated it for its punishing recoil. She does however like the Ruger LCP, even though it is tiny, the 380 is much more manageable in a small gun.

Some of the medium frame 9mm might be good...they soak up recoil better than the tiny 9s and are generally small enough for smaller hands.

It is important to find one she can comfortably hold, just remember the caliber matters too...tiny guns in major calibers = awful shooting sessions for recoil sensitive shooters.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A Kahr K9 or P9 might be a good choice. Small grip profile with a smooth light DA trigger make for an easy shooting gun. Just make sure she can handle racking the slide as the recoil springs are stiff.

99TROUBLE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife is partial to the Smith & Wesson M&P compact 9mm,she also has very small hands. The best thing is to have her handle & rack the slide on as many guns you can, as alot of the smaller guns have a stout recoil spring & a small slide that are harder to grip.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 for M&P 9 compact in female hands.

And in my hands! Great little guns. Adjustable backstraps fit different hand sizes.

Concur that it's critical to just take her to the gun shop and let her grip a bunch of guns, rack the slides etc., and make her choice. One of the few ways an experienced spouse/friend can contribute positively is by nudging the new shooter away from guns that are too small for best use.

From left field: I always thought a CZ-83 (12 shot SA/DA .380 ACP; available used in 9x18 Makarov) might be a nice pistol for someone recoil sensitive. Compact but not tiny; has a bit of weight to it; well made; good looking.

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-83/

Probably have to special order, though I've occasionally seen them on the shelves at H&H.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tend to lean towards a revolver for anyone who isn't going to shoot it a lot.
Very little thinking required. Not as likely to get excited and empty it real quick.

But other optiond work well also.
Like a spare clip and some occassional range time with your wife.

Latest posts

Top Bottom