Handgun suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natgas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One other to consider might be the Ruger SR9c; nice, compact and enough weight to limit the snap; I've also read some good things about the Taurus 709 Slim but you takes your chances with Taurus (so I've read).

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will take note of all the different suggestions and think I'll take her over to Sports World and let her physically handle each gun there. She can handle every firearm I have and enjoys shooting all of them. She just wants her own :)

I took my wife to H&H and we shoot about 10 pistols before she decided which one she liked. They ended up not charging us after 3 pistols. She decided on the Sig P250. Why? I don't know but I know Sig makes good stuff and that is what she was most comfortable with. So my advice is to let her feel AND SHOOT different guns.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As for the compact revolvers, the new LCR should be on the list to try. The light, smooth DA trigger on the one I handled would be a big benefit over traditional DA snubbies for those with small hands and lower upper body/grip strength.

bilboben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like has been said, let her hold a bunch of different ones, shoot the ones that feel the best for her.

I do recommend feeling of the SIG 239, my wife likes the feel of it and if you get a SAS Gen II model, it will have the trigger action she would like and smoothed edges for easy cc. Also my wife had the easiest time sliding the rack back because of the front and rear gripping on the slide.

tulsadave2003

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
holding it in your hands is ok, but for the real test she must SHOOT the gun. I had a kel tek pf-9 that felt great, but the recoild made it a cc carry gun only, not a fun gun to take and just plink with.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would stay away from sub-compacts for new shooters. They're hard to shoot and recoil can be tiresome.

The best way to find the right gun to to try them. I would recommend the Sig 225. It's a single stack, so the grip isn't too big, but it's large enough to be comfortable.

Although a J-frame wouldn't be my first choice, a Ruger SP101 with an exposed hammer might be nice. Single action is easy to shoot, .38+P and .357 makes it an excellent self-defense gun and light .38s will be easy and fun to shoot.

What will she be using the gun for? Range/home use or carry?

ETA: As far as renting guns in Tulsa...I know Tulsa Firearms does, not sure about anywhere else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom