hangun deer hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wanting to know if anyone hunted with a handgun. I just bought a super blackhawk 44 mag, 4 5/8 barrel, (got a great deal, couldn't say no) anyway shoots great and can hit a paper plate at 50 yards. Any suggestions, info? Thanks

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have killed deer, hogs, turkeys, varmints and exotics using handguns in many different calibers and configurations.

The 240 grain Hornady XTP bullet works great for deer and hogs in the 44 mag. Winchester 296 or Hodgdon H110 powders are top performers for hunting loads.

Keep practicing, WEAR EAR PROTECTION and Good luck!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LIke buzzgun, I've taken everything from frogs to hogs, to deer with pistols.
.22 for the frogs, and if hunting with the .44mag, I like 220 grain hp in front of some H-110. With the recent rule changes, I've been fortunate enough to drop two does with a .45acp, 1911 platform. 185 grain HP's over Unique. Very effective.:D

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010052.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_PB280292.jpg

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been huntin with a pistol for many years. Dan Wesson .357 mag 8" bbl and some pretty hot hand loads using 296 and hornady 158 gr xtpfp. Never had to look for a down deer more than 5 min./40 yds.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aside from bowhunting, I rate handgun hunting right up at the top. Last year was my first year going after deer and I was not successful but I've killed several hogs with a couple different .45 acp's and a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 casull. Lots of good times!

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Use a rest and keep your shots well inside of the 50 yards you practiced and you can achieve high success. Remember: FRONT SIGHT. Good Luck

Reaction score
1911 deer - yes, that settles it - Dennis rules!

Huntin where I hunt is tough enough without handicapping yourself in any way. If hunting in the northern or northwestern part of OK on private land, where the deer are thick and have fewer places to hide, I could see wanting to challenge yourself.

Sounds like you're proficient enough to do it out to quite a ways (50 yards), and the caliber is certainly up to it, with a good expanding bullet, so why not - go for it. I'd still limit myself to around 35 ish yards.

Now in ML season, if that .44 is your CCW, and a PMSing doe charges you, you could do the south park "it's comin right for us!" thing and shoot in self-defense. :D :P Bullet & hole will look a lot like a that made by ML at check station. J/K of course, unless my -I mean your - ML rifle was grouping like a shotgun at 50 yards that one year, the day before I -I mean you- went on your opening ML weekend trip, and I -I mean you- don't want to wound an animal).

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot my first deer with a pistol when I was 12 years old. I broke my right hand playing basketball a week before the season and couldn't grip a rifle. I used my dad's service S&W 4516 and shot it offhand using my cast as a rest to stable the gun. I doubt I'll ever top that deer hunt considering the combination of all factors involved. I certainly had one proud dad!

Latest posts

Top Bottom