hangun deer hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've carried one before during rifle season just in case something comes in close, but this year I'm going to hunt exclusively with a handgun during gun season. Blackhawk 4 5/8" .45 Colt for brushy spots and the Backhawk Hunter .44 Mag for longer shots.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a great post. I normally carry a .45 auto while hunting due to a friend getting rushed by a wild boar a few years ago. I was considering carry my .44 Mag 629 Classic DX this year and if the opportunity arrises, use that instead of the rifle. Any more ammo recommendations for handgunning deer with a .44 Mag?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a great post. I normally carry a .45 auto while hunting due to a friend getting rushed by a wild boar a few years ago. I was considering carry my .44 Mag 629 Classic DX this year and if the opportunity arrises, use that instead of the rifle. Any more ammo recommendations for handgunning deer with a .44 Mag?

Any factory round in .44 mag will take any deer as long as its a HP.
A good hard cast lead round has taken many deer for those that use them.
Its all about putting the bullet where it belongs.

joe11young

Marksman
Reaction score
After watching Uncle Ted and Keith Warren kill deer and hogs with a Glock 20 10mm, I broke down and got one this spring. So far, I've shot a copperhead and an armadillo with it. It's deadly accurate. I can't wait until deer gun season. It'll be on my side for close shots.
ai954.photobucket.com_albums_ae30_joe11young_10mmdillo.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After watching Uncle Ted and Keith Warren kill deer and hogs with a Glock 20 10mm, I broke down and got one this spring. So far, I've shot a copperhead and an armadillo with it. It's deadly accurate. I can't wait until deer gun season. It'll be on my side for close shots.
]

10MM will do the job:D

waynemorgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have been want to get back into handgun hunting now, times got hard and sold most of my stuff,
think i will go with the 1911 in 460 rowland.

but it just takes time to learn your gun

Latest posts

Top Bottom