Hard decision - next gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I've missed my 1911 every since I sold it, but I can't really afford to shoot .45 as much as I want to, so I'm actually considering a 9mm 1911. My quest for a Beretta has hit a slow down as the guy I was going to buy it from is out of town for a week and its got me thinking, should I get a Beretta 92Fs or a 9mm 1911?

Went up to Sports World Saturday and checked out their Berettas, but the only 92 they had was a newer model stainless (which was awesome, but it had all the new Beretta bilboard warnings on the side of both the slide and dust cover as well as all the plastic parts).

This money certainly isn't burning a hole in my pocket because I was able to go into a couple of different shops Sat and keep the cash since I'm really trying to figure out what I seriously want to do next.

On the one hand, if I get a 9mm 1911, its only going to be the beginning of the purchase, since I'll take it to Dr. Greyson for an overhaul, but if I get a 92Fs, I'll probably try and turn it into an M9 project like Soulman's (just can't do it all up front right now with multiple projects in the air).

I don't even know honestly much about 9mm 1911s, but I've seen a few Springfield's and I'd rather not have the target rear sight. I've owned an EMP, and . I'm looking for at least a Commander-sized model, and probably something closer to a full-sized model.

I've seen the STIs - are they pretty much the best bang-for-the-buck in the 9mm 1911 game?

So what opinions are looming out there in OSA land?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plastic parts on a 1911? Shame on them. Grips maybe... nothing else.

The STI's are nice guns.

What do you want to spend?

Well, the plastic parts were on the 92Fs, but its still just as much a sin for a manufacturer to do something like that to a metal gun :D

Obviously more for a 1911 than the Beretta, but I'm willing to save for the right gun. I'm not really looking for something gunsmith-built/uber-high-end yet (no Wilsons, Les Baers, Ed Browns, etc...) since I'm planning on taking it to the Doc anyways.

I guess that means I'm looking for a good quality starter-frame in either department (92Fs or 9mm 1911).

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, this one appeals to me somewhat (and it has normal checkering, and they offer it in 9mm):

[Broken External Image]

I totally get what you're saying about the figure-eight crap though - not a fan.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plastic parts on a 1911? Shame on them. Grips maybe... nothing else.

Unfortunately it is not that uncommon. I have seen plastic triggers in 1911's. Some of Kimber's high dollar 1911's come with a plastic MSH.

I used to have a 9M Colt Combat Commander. I liked the gun and planned to having some custom work done. I wound selling it to a Colt nut simply because it was too nice to modify.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those Duty Ones are pretty sweet from what I've seen.. but for that much money you're almost in Wilson KZ-9 territory. :D :D

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not gonna lie - if I were to get a KZ anything from Wilson, it would be just for the "Wilson" name because I'm not a fan of double-stack 1911s nor am I a fan of the plastic 2011 frame.

But your right, that STI is pricey.

Is there another maker out there?

Edited to add - looks like the timestamps are screwed again.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not gonna lie - if I were to get a KZ anything from Wilson, it would be just for the "Wilson" name because I'm not a fan of double-stack 1911s nor am I a fan of the plastic 2011 frame.

But your right, that STI is pricey.

Is there another maker out there?

Edited to add - looks like the timestamps are screwed again.

FWIW, I sold my Beretta Elite and Vertec because my KZ-9 shoots so well. :D That's just me though.

I can't think of another 9mm production 1911 model. What about a Hi-power?

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, the plastic parts were on the 92Fs, but its still just as much a sin for a manufacturer to do something like that to a metal gun :D

Obviously more for a 1911 than the Beretta, but I'm willing to save for the right gun. I'm not really looking for something gunsmith-built/uber-high-end yet (no Wilsons, Les Baers, Ed Browns, etc...) since I'm planning on taking it to the Doc anyways.

I guess that means I'm looking for a good quality starter-frame in either department (92Fs or 9mm 1911).
Ah, I see. If that's the case, what about a RIA 9mm? They're REALLY cheap, of course, I'm sure you get what you pay for, but heck, for $350 or so, I'd say it would be worth it.

http://e-sarcoinc.com/pistols.aspx
Actually, this one appeals to me somewhat (and it has normal checkering, and they offer it in 9mm):

[Broken External Image]

I totally get what you're saying about the figure-eight crap though - not a fan.
I like that...
Springfield does make that 9mm loaded with a Novak cut but they are REALLY tough to find. You can also switch out bomar cut sights with Harrison sights if you like fixed.

http://forum.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=1733547

If STI would drop that goofy chainlink checkering then they'd have a perfect gun for $1K IMHO.

What are the Springers normally cut then? I thought their non-GI's were Novaks?

Latest posts

Top Bottom