Has your company had layoffs in the last month?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of people in the oil industry are like that. You'd think knowing how it ebbs and flows that they'd figure out how to save a drive that ol' beater a little longer.
I completely agree with you tyromeo55.After my first layoff I bought my next car with cash so I wouldn't have to worry about car payments if I got laid off again.I am one of the few people in my neighborhood that isn't driving a $50,000.00 pick up.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My company laid off 200-ish. Half last week, half this week. Had a teleconference today with the CEO, if you read between the lines, a pay cut is coming down the pipe in the near future. Gonna be tight til I can jump ship to a different company.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m leaning towards retiring. Does that count?
Me too. Maybe telleworking till Oct. And then turn in my papers Dec 1 for a departure date of Feb 2.
Papers take 2-3 months to process for some reason and Feb 2 is my 30 year longevity date so I'll get a $3000 check for that.
But it sounds like I won't have much time left in that office.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Me too. Maybe telleworking till Oct. And then turn in my papers Dec 1 for a departure date of Feb 2.
Papers take 2-3 months to process for some reason and Feb 2 is my 30 year longevity date so I'll get a $3000 check for that.
But it sounds like I won't have much time left in that office.

If you are serious, make notice now. There is some protection (at least where I had worked) from lay-off / termination for employees who had announced retirement.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of people in the oil industry are like that. You'd think knowing how it ebbs and flows that they'd figure out how to save a drive that ol' beater a little longer.
One would think so, but it never happens that way for a lot in that occupation. I spent 21 years in the oil patch with a company that built drilling bits. When manufacturing was good, there were new trucks, guns, etc being bought every week with the overtime checks. When the oil patch started down, those guns and trucks could be bought cheap. A couple of years would go by with folks selling everything to stay afloat, with layoffs going on, and when it picked up and the overtime started coming in again, new guns and new trucks were everywhere. I'm just using guns and trucks as an example.
Owners of drilling companies would be buying or leasing corporate jets, flying high during the boom years.
I'm with you, it seems some never learn to put some money into a rainy day fund to tide yourself/company through those slow times.
After surviving three layoffs, I decided something more stable was in order.
Power plants will never go away and are always growing so that is where I went.

Latest posts

Top Bottom