have a lock n load AP should I get a rock chucker?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am going to start loading for my creedmoor and was wondering if I should do it on my lock n load AP or if I will really need to go to something like a rock chucker to get the best accuracy?

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It should be possible to load accurate ammo on the LNL AP. Even if you want to weigh each charge.

Even with that said a rockchucker would be a nice addition to a reloading bench. If you have space you would not regret getting the rockchucker.

458 SOCOM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While that rockchucker is a good press, try the Hornady Classic press. Set your die for the AP press and you can move it over to the classic press with changing the die setting.

458 SOCOM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the rock chucker and the AP. I load everything now on the Hornday and use the RCBS to pull bullets.

I load most everything on my AP. However my loads for .270 and .308 that require extruded powder go through my classic press.

My classic press gets used for case prep, bullet sizing, de-prime before tumble, case forming and priming, very little loading. 100 rounds of .270 last me 4-5 years. My .308 last even longer.

Revived

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW... "best accuracy" is up to you... progressives have come a long way and you should be good to go.... Rock Chuckers are fine, but if you go to all that trouble for more upside accuracy potential save a little more and look at a Forster Co-Ax... there's a darn good reason it's a tough press to get your hands on....

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do some research and find out how bench rest or F class shooters load their ammo.

They will sort new brass and bullets by weight. They will uniform everything they can on the case. The primer pocket, the flash hole the neck thickness. This can all be done without using a press. It is meticulous and takes time. They may buy 500 cases and only use 50 that match in weight. Same with bullets. They will buy premium bullets and not use them all.

They will use a chronograph for load development. SD and ES are important.

None of that matters if they don't practice a lot too. They may use the culled cases and bullets for practice.

Don't take my word for it, I have never done it. I just like reading stuff about reloading in case I want to try some of it. Me and my guns are not accurate enough to worry about more accurate ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom