Have you considered purchasing wearable body armor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, going through the mental gymnastics of why to buy it. Most protects chest only. There is armor that extends protection, for example a titanium cup. However really wondering the true value of Armor. For example, you get hit in the face or head, good chance you will die, especially from a rifle round. Get hit in the groin one may loose the will to live, or die. Get hit in the arm and your brachial artery or leg and femoral artery again without a tourniquet applied quickly one can die. Multiple hits, some armor degrades. Hit to the back or lower spine, paralysis for life. When I look at it that way, cover is always best. Only time I can see usage is mass riots or apocalypse.

hammerdown51

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, going through the mental gymnastics of why to buy it. Most protects chest only. There is armor that extends protection, for example a titanium cup. However really wondering the true value of Armor. For example, you get hit in the face or head, good chance you will die, especially from a rifle round. Get hit in the groin one may loose the will to live, or die. Get hit in the arm and your brachial artery or leg and femoral artery again without a tourniquet applied quickly one can die. Multiple hits, some armor degrades. Hit to the back or lower spine, paralysis for life. When I look at it that way, cover is always best. Only time I can see usage is mass riots or apocalypse.
Great points.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I quit wearing that stuff years ago. Now that I don't have to wear it, I ain't gonna wear it.

If it gets to the point I need body armor hanging out around my little farm, it's bad enough armor probably isn't gonna help. And I sure as hell wouldn't venture away from home if there was a likelihood I'd need armor where I was going.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

That titanium cup has me wondering if it wouldn’t just redirect the bullet or spallding right into your leg arteries either side or above. All of that is in that general area anyways.

Fitz-

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should advise police they are wasting their time then.

As a rando civilian? Just depends on what you consider how much you want to prepare for. I'll admit it's a lot lower on the list than good stocks of ammo, training, and supplies to last minimum a few weeks of disruption. After that though it's a place to spend that sure doesn't hurt to have. Plus running in plates is good exercise.
I'd see a under shirt vest maybe more strongly needed if your hanging around north tulsa after dark a lot etc.
In the end, not terribly expensive, and generally doesn't exactly go bad. So I dont see it any better/worse than buying a 5th handgun or 4th AR.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should advise police they are wasting their time then.

As a rando civilian? Just depends on what you consider how much you want to prepare for. I'll admit it's a lot lower on the list than good stocks of ammo, training, and supplies to last minimum a few weeks of disruption. After that though it's a place to spend that sure doesn't hurt to have. Plus running in plates is good exercise.
I'd see a under shirt vest maybe more strongly needed if your hanging around north Tulsa after dark a lot etc.
In the end, not terribly expensive, and generally doesn't exactly go bad. So I don't see it any better/worse than buying a 5th handgun or 4th AR.

Not advising police, but trying to look at it from a citizen's point of view. Also worked three years in an ER, many hits were not to the torso. One officer got shot on a traffic stop, shot behind the vest through his torso. Four holes, through the top of his left and right pecks, wasn't fatal nor life threatening immediately, but through two of the exit holes had a tiny bit of muscle tissue protruding. Sutured up in the ER, released about two or three hours after coming in. Not saying BA is useless, just saying it is a bit tougher decision putting it in an apocalyptic scenario. If I do go that route it will be 3A+, back and front plates and a cup.

As for spauling most steel plate does have a coating to help prevent that. The value of a cup is debatable, one person "testing" it suffered a crushed testicle, think the video is on youtube.

Glockisgood17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wore it every day for 31 years on the job. I still have it, but don’t wear it. I still fit the vest I retired in 2004. Maybe a tad less. Ot would have to be really bad for me to wear it again. Even have the titanium plates for it!

Regards,

Latest posts

Top Bottom