Have you considered purchasing wearable body armor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, if I considered buying concealable body armor, I would just go without. Negligible protection, expense that could be used towards ammo for training, and in general it’s pretty good at raising your core temp and reducing your body’s ability to cool itself. I wore it for a short amount of time and it was a royal pain in the arse.

Unless you wear it 24/7 you’ll always have to get to where you have it stored to put it on, which likely takes you out of danger and out of the necessity of needing it in the first place. Likewise with a plate carrier. If your job doesn’t facilitate the necessity of it, you likely don’t need it.

However, in the interest of protecting against enemies, foreign and domestic one day, it might be a nice thing to have, and training beforehand will be nice in the extremely slight chance the necessity arises. So at the end of the day I look at it like this: if you already have it, train in it. If you need it for work, train in it. If you could spend that money on ammo for training instead, don’t buy it. If you can’t afford it, don’t buy it. Chances are, you likely won’t need it, and if you want something for more serious stuff, you’ll be better served by owning a legitimate plate carrier.

Last edited:

Fitz-

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps I got the NIJ ratings wrong. 3+ can stop anything short of .308 AP. For everyday wear Armor rated for Pistol Calibers would be best, however I am thinking of getting it for SHTF scenarios.
Then ya, you might want to revisit those, 3+ is going to vary by manufacturer since it's a made up level. More simply put usually was it bridged the big gap between 3 and 4, essentially supposedly being good for some of the lighter AP/green tip stuff. But now I'm getting hazy here, the big deal of why 4 > 3"+" was 3+ I thought still failed m80 ball usually due to backface deformation. (And then things get really confusing with some folks trying to wear a light weight special threat or 3+ plate with some soft armor reinventing essentially army IOTV and making an in conjunction with combination. The issue, is all of these are kinda red neck back yard tested/wargamed and not things that have gone through full certification process.

Should look up the new ratings though, it's sorta simpler and much clearer generally speaking. I just read it once so far and forgot so will need to re-read it a few more times until it sinks in.

But from what your saying you sound mainly concerned with pistols, and if you want concealed, then ya your more in 3A area which is soft concealable armor, any of the 3+'s are going to be hard plates unless you are shelling out a fortune for some questionable safe life or some of those over advertised plans that have renamed dragonscale.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then ya, you might want to revisit those, 3+ is going to vary by manufacturer since it's a made up level. More simply put usually was it bridged the big gap between 3 and 4, essentially supposedly being good for some of the lighter AP/green tip stuff. But now I'm getting hazy here, the big deal of why 4 > 3"+" was 3+ I thought still failed m80 ball usually due to backface deformation. (And then things get really confusing with some folks trying to wear a light weight special threat or 3+ plate with some soft armor reinventing essentially army IOTV and making an in conjunction with combination. The issue, is all of these are kinda red neck back yard tested/wargamed and not things that have gone through full certification process.

Should look up the new ratings though, it's sorta simpler and much clearer generally speaking. I just read it once so far and forgot so will need to re-read it a few more times until it sinks in.

But from what your saying you sound mainly concerned with pistols, and if you want concealed, then ya your more in 3A area which is soft concealable armor, any of the 3+'s are going to be hard plates unless you are shelling out a fortune for some questionable safe life or some of those over advertised plans that have renamed dragonscale.
From what I understand and have seen, Dragon scale becomes less resistant with each hit. Steel appears to have a longer life. For me SHTF means dogs and cats living together, anarchy, the worst parts of the Bible. Rifle ammo would be used more often IMHO. Everyday wear, pistol ammo resistance.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Fitz-

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I understand and have seen, Dragon scale becomes less resistant with each hit. Steel appears to have a longer life. For me SHTF means dogs and cats living together, anarchy, the worst parts of the Bible. Rifle ammo would be used more often IMHO. Everyday wear, pistol ammo resistance.
The point was both are considered garbage by the people that are heavily involved in such things

Latest posts

Top Bottom