Have you considered purchasing wearable body armor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Generally need to maintain your body type to wear body armor. The T-Rex carrier and Hesco plate package are a good deal to keep some on hand. Doubt anything in OK would ever require armor.

Fitz-

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not advising police, but trying to look at it from a citizen's point of view. Also worked three years in an ER, many hits were not to the torso. One officer got shot on a traffic stop, shot behind the vest through his torso. Four holes, through the top of his left and right pecks, wasn't fatal nor life threatening immediately, but through two of the exit holes had a tiny bit of muscle tissue protruding. Sutured up in the ER, released about two or three hours after coming in. Not saying BA is useless, just saying it is a bit tougher decision putting it in an apocalyptic scenario. If I do go that route it will be 3A+, back and front plates and a cup.

As for spauling most steel plate does have a coating to help prevent that. The value of a cup is debatable, one person "testing" it suffered a crushed testicle, think the video is on youtube.
Lol do tell me what you mean by 3a+. There's (or was NIJ just updated their definitions) 3a, 3 and a industry made up 3+ which means different things to different people. A is generally worse than the number it's with. So 3A generally just pistol rounds, maybe you mean one that's stab resistant as well?

Don't buy steel, the coating is still dogshit, and they are silly heavy. Plenty of about as cheap and not quite as heavy stuff. Though if on a budget and still want performance against green tip etc, there's stuff like L210 special threat plates etc.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lol do tell me what you mean by 3a+. There's (or was NIJ just updated their definitions) 3a, 3 and a industry made up 3+ which means different things to different people. A is generally worse than the number it's with. So 3A generally just pistol rounds, maybe you mean one that's stab resistant as well?

Don't buy steel, the coating is still dogshit, and they are silly heavy. Plenty of about as cheap and not quite as heavy stuff. Though if on a budget and still want performance against green tip etc, there's stuff like L210 special threat plates etc.
Perhaps I got the NIJ ratings wrong. 3+ can stop anything short of .308 AP. For everyday wear Armor rated for Pistol Calibers would be best, however I am thinking of getting it for SHTF scenarios.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I look at it as better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you have a dozen rifles and a dozen pistols with mags, bullets, carriers, optics, slings, etc., then it may be time for armor. But lots of preps and helpful items ahead on the list.

Angler2312

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hell I’ve got grandmas 18” cast iron skillet hooked on a rope to put around my neck. Body Armer are us.😏
bodyarmor.jpg

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I look at it as better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you have a dozen rifles and a dozen pistols with mags, bullets, carriers, optics, slings, etc., then it may be time for armor. But lots of preps and helpful items ahead on the list.
Same. If I think I'm going to need I'd rather grab it out of the closet and throw it on than wish I would've bought it. You do need to wear it so you get used to the weight and differences in movement, and make sure everything is in good spots.

Latest posts

Top Bottom