Having to another truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is not enough data yet on 2015 repair costs for the rates to change, but you can damn sure plan on it in the future. The repairs costs for the all aluminum vehicles have been and will continue to be considerably higher. There are also very few places that actually have the capability of performing the repair too. You can't just take it to any body shop (if you want it done correctly). We just did our first bedside on a 2015 F150 recently. What would have been maybe $1500 on a steel body was over $4k on the aluminum body. Working in the insurance industry, no way would I buy aluminum truck.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an "expert" cousin that was telling me the horror stories. Not sure where he got his info. Your link looks encouraging. I'll be in the market for a new Pickup soon. Toyota Tundra comes to mind first, but the F150 comes in a close second with that ecoboost.

319,000 on the Tacoma so far. Still not using any engine oil, so Toyota is still my fav.
I've found that you can never argue with an "expert". Lol.
The replacement parts are the same price as the old parts so I don't see an increase being justified. Of course, insurance companies don't always need to justify rate increases!! That Tundra sure won't get the mileage that the new Ecoboost will. I'd seriously consider the new baby Ecoboost. It's right there with the 6.2 Chevy and will outrun the Dodge.
http://youtu.be/23O-hS-r0gQ

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is not enough data yet on 2015 repair costs for the rates to change, but you can damn sure plan on it in the future. The repairs costs for the all aluminum vehicles have been and will continue to be considerably higher. There are also very few places that actually have the capability of performing the repair too. You can't just take it to any body shop (if you want it done correctly). We just did our first bedside on a 2015 F150 recently. What would have been maybe $1500 on a steel body was over $4k on the aluminum body. Working in the insurance industry, no way would I buy aluminum truck.

Why so much higher?

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The replacement parts are the same price as the old parts so I don't see an increase being justified. Of course, insurance companies don't always need to justify rate increases!!
There are several problems here. First, you are assuming that both parts needed to be replaced. With aluminum you are replacing a lot more parts because it's ability to be repaired is far more limited. The truck we just did would have easily been repaired if it was steel. It only required replacement because it was aluminum. The bedside did cost roughly the same as the steel bedside.... but there is still a much higher cost associated with the aluminum repair.

The shops need an aluminum bay with separate tools. So all these guys that invest in their tools can't use them. The shop has to buy everything again so there is no contamination. The bay needs to be separated from steel repairs so usually they are off in a corner with a floor to ceiling curtain around them or in another building at some shops. They need there own ventilation system so the dust doesn't cross contaminate. The overhead required for aluminum repairs is quite a bit. This is why most shops will charge an aluminum rate of around $125/hr compared to a standard body rate of $48/hr (in OKC area).

Then there is part cost. An overwhelming majority of insurance companies will use aftermarket parts. Aftermarket companies aren't producing the aluminum parts which makes the insurance company buy the Ford parts. That's an increase to them. Their data they were using for your rates were based of paying claims with those aftermarket parts.

If it was a steel bed, they'd just weld or glue it on. With the aluminum bedside, the required self piercing rivets alone are several hundred dollars.

Currently there are only I think 3 shops in Oklahoma that are certified by Ford to perform the repairs on a 2015 F150.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The limited ability to repair is a huge issue. When you could fix a steel fender for 6 hours ($300) or have to replace it because it's aluminum it's going to be a $400 parts, 2.5 hours @ 2.5x the rate to replace it plus all the additional paint time and materials to edge it out because it's a new part. Part costs are going to be at least 30% more if there is NO increase (and that's impossible) because CAPA aftermarket is roughly 70% of OEM. And just a lack of competition in the market for repairs will drive up costs, i.e. longer rental cars because waiting to be repaired took longer due to limited qualified shops, more labor intensive repairs, higher tow bills bringing them to specific places that aren't close.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Daum! That sounds like the F150 might take a hit in sales when all of that comes to the publics attention. I heard something on a car show on the radio I listen to on Sundays at KRMG that talked about an issue with the 2015 that will be fixed in 2016 models. Didn't hear what it was though.
Any insite?

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why so much higher?
It went from pulling the bumper, tail light, setting the bed back so it could be painted and repairing the bedside for 12 hours at $48/hr to buying the bedside, buying the inner structure that was destroyed when you could separate the skin. buying the front bedside panel that was destroyed attempting to drill out the rivets, buying I think $600 in self piercing rivets and then paying $125/hr to put it all back together. Then paint is $48/hr labor and $38/hr in materials. It required almost 4x the amount of paint and materials because so much additional required replacement.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't heard any issue that is being corrected. But another thing people aren't considered is the contamination issue between steel and aluminum is going to be a big deal. Anyone that screwed a steel toolbox into that aluminum bed just contaminated the bed. It will eat itself from the inside. Same thing for people that bolt up step rails. If they don't know what they're doing and don't use the proper attachment procedures, their cab is going to eat itself up. I'm just not confident in this trucks ability to hold up over 20 years like what we've been used to. Maybe if it becomes so common place and a mass production of parts can drive the costs down, and repair procedures become more common.... but for now, I just don't want to be part of the learning curve.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't heard any issue that is being corrected. But another thing people aren't considered is the contamination issue between steel and aluminum is going to be a big deal. Anyone that screwed a steel toolbox into that aluminum bed just contaminated the bed. It will eat itself from the inside. Same thing for people that bolt up step rails. If they don't know what they're doing and don't use the proper attachment procedures, their cab is going to eat itself up. I'm just not confident in this trucks ability to hold up over 20 years like what we've been used to. Maybe if it becomes so common place and a mass production of parts can drive the costs down, and repair procedures become more common.... but for now, I just don't want to be part of the learning curve.

So connection corrosion ='s dielectric issues. That's not good. My current driver is a 1995, the one prior was a 1982. I don't trade vehicles often, so this issue sure makes me focus on the Tundra now, or an extremely low mileage 2014 F150.

Latest posts

Top Bottom