Maintaining and keeping high mileage F150?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My folks used to deliver 5th wheels across the country. The last Ford they used also had the 7.3 Powerstroke --- it had nearly 700,000 miles on it! However, the rest of the truck was extremely worn-out.
Can't buy anything that will last a quarter of that many miles now days. Charge more get less!

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I drove about a 130 mile round trip in it today and was mindful of how it drove. Other than the TC shuttering on hills, it really does run and drive great.

I could keep the Jeep as a daily driver rather than sell it, but I'd like to also do some upgrades to the Ford.

Nicer seats and stereo would be nice, but are there some modifications that will improve performance, gas mileage, suspension, etc?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
New is $50k for stripped down model.
$70 - $100k for most of the lot.

My '06 has 228k miles. Put $4k into it and it looks / runs as good anything on the road. I bought it new, know the maintenance, done every oil change. I put that $600+ payment in the savings every month. Maintenance costs are a pitance, in comparison.
Bought mine with 54k on the clock. Now has 128k. Right after buying I bought all the Amsoil synthetics and it has had it bumper to bumper since then. Even flushed the power steering pump and cooler with Amsoil ATF. Changed out both idler pulleys and serpentine belt, coolant flush and did the rear axle again about 3 years ago. I figure it's got at least 5 more years in it with just basic maintenance upkeep. If it craps the bed a crate motor will probably get dropped in but I don't expect that to happen. Cam phasers are still quiet because I keep good oil in it.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drove about a 130 mile round trip in it today and was mindful of how it drove. Other than the TC shuttering on hills, it really does run and drive great.

I could keep the Jeep as a daily driver rather than sell it, but I'd like to also do some upgrades to the Ford.

Nicer seats and stereo would be nice, but are there some modifications that will improve performance, gas mileage, suspension, etc?
IF these things haven’t been done, I’d replace fuel filter, air filter, plugs and wires, and clean the mass airflow sensor. Give that thing a good tune up 👍

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
New is $50k for stripped down model.
$70 - $100k for most of the lot.

My '06 has 228k miles. Put $4k into it and it looks / runs as good anything on the road. I bought it new, know the maintenance, done every oil change. I put that $600+ payment in the savings every month. Maintenance costs are a pitance, in comparison.
yep fix it i regret getting rid of my paid for truck. have amco or a nationwide co go through it get a warranty and carry on!

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep it and fix it

All my wife and I drive is older Toyota stuff. Older like 1998-2006 ranges. I do my own maintenance. I fully expect to get 300k miles or more on stock motor and transmission.

It boggles my mind how many people think vehicles are worn out and done for at like 150k miles.. I guess maybe so for crappy build quality stuff but good grief

My dad has an expensive late model Chevy duramax/Allison with less than 50k miles and it’s already been down a couple times with major issues… one was some transmission computer BS that went out and dealers couldn’t even get the part truck was down for 3 months!!!

I’ll keep my old Toyotas

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep it and fix it

All my wife and I drive is older Toyota stuff. Older like 1998-2006 ranges. I do my own maintenance. I fully expect to get 300k miles or more on stock motor and transmission.

It boggles my mind how many people think vehicles are worn out and done for at like 150k miles.. I guess maybe so for crappy build quality stuff but good grief

My dad has an expensive late model Chevy duramax/Allison with less than 50k miles and it’s already been down a couple times with major issues… one was some transmission computer BS that went out and dealers couldn’t even get the part truck was down for 3 months!!!

I’ll keep my old Toyotas
I had a 1986 Toyota pickup. Rebuilt engine and the thing was amazing. And I fell for the “I need a newer vehicle” because everyone else had one. I wish I still had it today. Thing was amazing

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’m having a similar issue with a fleet of ford transit vans. The rear rotors are so soft that the wear a dome in them at 15-20k miles. The lip on the rotor starts rubbing on the pad back plate. Plenty of meat on the pads but they are dome shaped.
It’s a PITA too because the rear axle has to come out to replace the rotor. Yep, you read that right. Look it up on a YouTube vid. And the pistons thread in. Clockwise on the driver side and counterclockwise on the passenger side.
Doing my 5th one tomorrow. I’m getting pretty good at it!

Latest posts

Top Bottom