Maintaining and keeping high mileage F150?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Ryan500L I haven't priced them lately but the 250HP and up probably are that much. Wouldn't surprise me. A fully decked out, ready to fish, with all the whistles is going to hit you for close to $100K. Maybe more now. :faint:
And you see a lot of them going down the road, that's wanting to fish awful bad or just wanting to be one of the "look at what I've got" guys.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
4K seems like a lot. Which transmission does it have?
I’m not certain but I can look in a bit. You may know just from the 5.3. Always been told the engine and tranny were paired for milage (20mpg).

When I started to pull a light RPOD all over the Northwest to shooting matches I was told it was wasn’t exactly built for passes in Montana and Idaho. And that seemed the case about halfway up as I watched the transmission temp climb. It was ok on the flat.

The real rub I had was a minor front-seal leak that started at about 75,000 miles. Dealer said that was a $2300 hickie so I just added fluid a couple times a year. Always serviced it at proper intervals though. Now it feels like I can sort of detect it slipping just a little. And it is just now starting to hit higher gears a little hard in town. I don’t know squat about automatic transmissions in case you hadn’t gathered that yet😉.

Btw, you have an Evo? I have a 98 Roadking I’m postponing the inevitable with. Advanced Glaucoma dictates I should let that old girl go someday. Had it for 25 years now. Embarrassing to say how many miles it has.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m not certain but I can look in a bit. You may know just from the 5.3. Always been told the engine and tranny were paired for milage (20mpg).

When I started to pull a light RPOD all over the Northwest to shooting matches I was told it was wasn’t exactly built for passes in Montana and Idaho. And that seemed the case about halfway up as I watched the transmission temp climb. It was ok on the flat.

The real rub I had was a minor front-seal leak that started at about 75,000 miles. Dealer said that was a $2300 hickie so I just added fluid a couple times a year. Always serviced it at proper intervals though. Now it feels like I can sort of detect it slipping just a little. And it is just now starting to hit higher gears a little hard in town. I don’t know squat about automatic transmissions in case you hadn’t gathered that yet😉.

Btw, you have an Evo? I have a 98 Roadking I’m postponing the inevitable with. Advanced Glaucoma dictates I should let that old girl go someday. Had it for 25 years now. Embarrassing to say how many miles it has.
2007 5.3 should be the 4l60e. Coweta Transmission Shop was rebuilding those for around $650 plus torque converter. They have rebuilt a few for friends and customers and I have never heard of an issue. I would bet you can find someone to swap it out for $500 or so. I have an Evo, but it is a car. 2003 Mitsubishi Evolution.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2007 5.3 should be the 4l60e. Coweta Transmission Shop was rebuilding those for around $650 plus torque converter. They have rebuilt a few for friends and customers and I have never heard of an issue. I would bet you can find someone to swap it out for $500 or so. I have an Evo, but it is a car. 2003 Mitsubishi Evolution.
AWD turbo?

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Broke redneck logic here:::

Hell, just keep driving the SOB.. ya never know, that transmission could keep running like that for another year or two. When it finally blows, tow it to the house, pull the transmission yourself, take it to a rebuild shop. Lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom