HB 2994 Firearm Freedom Act!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage250

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, Henry is probably gonna have his buddy obama give him a job and this will look good on that front. His spokesman said henry though it would put the public in danger. WTF?? Give me a break. Golly Wally, gee whiz, the stupidity is high in the gov's office.

I'm glad he's leaving. Maybe next session we'll get it done.

natgas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't imagine anyone really thinking "Henry Obama" would have done anything else.

He's more concerned about his future in the adminstration than standing up for Oklahoman's rights

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a state employee, I really didn't expect him to sign. I swear it seems like ANYTHING I am against he is for, and vice versa. I actually make less money NOW than I did when Keating was in office. Not sure how the Hell that works.

Grant

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
E-mail I just recieve on this issue.....

Veto the Veto!
-- Don't let Gov. Brad Henry trash your gun rights

Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert
8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151
Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408
http://www.gunowners.org
Wednesday, April 28, 2010

On March 23, GOA alerted you to a superb pro-gun bill that was rapidly moving through the Oklahoma state legislature.

It passed the Oklahoma State Senate by the overwhelming margin of 39-3, and with your help, it sailed through the House of Representatives in similar fashion by a vote of 81-14.

You will remember that the bill is SB 1685, known as the Firearms Freedom Act, and is modeled after similar legislation which has been wildly successful in states all across the country.

The Firearms Freedom Act has a simple concept. It states that if a gun was made in Oklahoma, and then stays in Oklahoma, then the federal government may not regulate it under the Interstate Commerce Clause. (Because, you see, the gun was never part of any interstate commerce.)

This is important because the Commerce Clause is the "hook" that Congress has used to justify almost every single federal gun control law. But with the passage of SB 1685, a stand will be taken by the Sooner State that guns stamped with the words "Made in Oklahoma" are no business of the federal government.

Firearms Freedom isn't just about the Second Amendment, it's about the Tenth Amendment as well. It's about the federal government getting too big for its britches by legislating beyond the powers given it by the Constitution -- and about states asserting that, hey, you can't just run roughshod over the rights of our citizens.

But, apparently Governor Brad Henry has higher political aspirations and feels that cozying up to the feds is more important than your gun rights. After "saying" he supports the Second Amendment, he goes and vetoes the most popular pro-gun bill in decades!

Eight states have passed the Firearms Freedom Act, and it is working its way nicely through the legislatures of many others. Some governors have publicly expressed their total support for Firearms Freedom as they signed. ONLY BRAD HENRY HAS HAD THE GALL TO VETO FIREARMS FREEDOM!

This is an outrage. Does he think that his wisdom is so superior to more than 80% of the legislature? Does he think that tossing your rights in the garbage can is going to advance his political career?

But all is not over.

We must show Gov. Henry that his egregious action will have consequences, and that opportunity will come very, very soon.

The bill's pro-gun sponsor (and GOA-PVF supported candidate for governor) is Sen. Randy Brogdon (R-34). Here's part of what Brogdon had to say about Gov. Henry's veto:

"He claims to support the Second Amendment then vetoes legislation supporting it. Actions speak louder than words. What he says he believes and what he does don't add up. This bill would have given Oklahomans greater protection for their right to keep and bear arms. I will do everything in my power to override this veto and make sure this bill becomes law."

Will you please help Senator Brogdon in this effort?

Now, it is true that the huge margins of victory show that the votes to override are already there in both chambers. BUT... since the bill has an "emergency" clause (so that it takes effect immediately), an override requires a three-fourths vote in both the House and the Senate. And some legislators did not vote on SB 1685 the first time around. The bottom line is that if Henry can convince just four Senators OR six Representatives to become turncoats, his veto will stand.

So your help at this stage is absolutely crucial to make sure we hold on to the votes we need.

ACTION: Just as soon as you can, urge your State Senator and State Representative to vote to override Brad Henry's veto of SB 1685. If you can only make one contact, please make it to your State Senator, as the Senate will be voting first.

Contact Info:

Representative e-mail addresses -- http://www.okhouse.gov/Members/MemberListing.aspx
Senator e-mail addresses -- http://www.oksenate.gov/Senators/directorybydistrict.htm

House phone number -- 405-521-2711
Senate phone number -- 405-524-0126

If you don't know who your Senator and Representative are, please call the numbers above or go to http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm and enter your zip code in the highlighted box. Then, scroll down to "Governor and State Legislators." Clicking on the names will give you Contact tabs. (We're sorry if that sounds convoluted, it's not really, but the look-up system on the Oklahoma state website is even more confusing.)

Regardless, a pre-written letter is provided below so that you can copy-and-paste it into the e-mail you send your legislators. Or please feel free to type your own text, as long as the message is clear.

----- Pre-written letter -----

Dear legislator:

Gov. Henry has Vetoed SB 1685, the Oklahoma Firearms Freedom Act. What an outrage!

You guys passed this bill 39-3 in the Senate and 81-14 in the House. If that doesn't spell "override" I don't know what does.

Should you fail to override, anyone who voted in favor of the bill but not to override will be deemed guilty of trading away my rights for some perceived political expediency.

I can assure you, such an action will NOT be forgotten!

Please support the SB 1685 override effort in every possible way.

Sincerely,

Latest posts

Top Bottom