HB 3354 - Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I might be wrong, but my understanding is that if the Governor does nothing, a bill goes into law on the date designated by state law. A pocket veto can only occur when the legislative session ends before that time. I believe the date for HB3354 is 5/17 and the legislative session ends after that if I'm not mistaken. I know this is the way federal law works and I am sure that state law is very similar.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable of state law can comment.

Just looked it up. You are correct, I was wrong. Art 6 Sec. 11 Oklahoma constitution.

Keep him busy for the next few days.

jdgabbard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The keep it busy idea is great. But I hate to spoil your hopes, but its not going to work that way...

Any of you that work in a office, and have assistants or a secretary know this, when the deadline is coming up on a specific report or whatever it may be, you ALWAYS have people reminding you. Trust me, when it approaches the last day he'll be made VERY aware of the deadline. Our best hope is that he either A) Goes ahead and signs it into law, considering the huge amount of support from the entire state. Or B) Makes the decision to do nothing due to his political ambitions, but still knowing that the people of Oklahoma WANT this.

OkieBoogaloo

The Trees are Whisperin
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If he does nothing it becomes law... unlike with the president, if he does nothing it's a pocket veto and has to be overturned.

I'm thinking that with all of these storms making a mess of things he might just be busy enough to not want to deal with the gun toting mob right now.... Maybe he'll just let it ride and focus on getting federal aid and what not for rebuilding stuff yet again.

spastik monkey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The keep it busy idea is great. But I hate to spoil your hopes, but its not going to work that way...

Any of you that work in a office, and have assistants or a secretary know this, when the deadline is coming up on a specific report or whatever it may be, you ALWAYS have people reminding you. Trust me, when it approaches the last day he'll be made VERY aware of the deadline. Our best hope is that he either A) Goes ahead and signs it into law, considering the huge amount of support from the entire state. Or B) Makes the decision to do nothing due to his political ambitions, but still knowing that the people of Oklahoma WANT this.

I'm ok with either of these :thumbup3:

Peacemaker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If he does nothing it becomes law... unlike with the president, if he does nothing it's a pocket veto and has to be overturned.

Not to get sidetracked, but if you read the federal law, if the president does nothing, a bill becomes law in ten days without his signature.

A pocket veto only occurs if the legislative session ends during that ten day period and is unsigned.

Peacemaker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The governor's web site shows bills piling up. I am guessing he is going to wait as long as he can while dealing with storm disaster business then tend to the bills when deadlines are looming.

When I emailed my representative, Don Armes, a couple of weeks ago, Don was all for this bill (as I exptected) and he felt the bill would pass the house and that the governor would sign the bill. I don't know how good of a feel Don has for Brad but I'm hoping he's right. He was right about the bill passing the house.

taymoor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Who wants to send something to distract his secretaries then?

johnnybbd

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am very hopeful that they will pass this, I think this might help crime etc. because someone is less likely to commit a crime if they see a whole bunch of people with semi autos on their side!

Latest posts

Top Bottom