HB 3354 - Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The calendar is items for consideration during the week apparently. Just heard from my house Rep. Sue Tibbs.

Ma'am,

HB 3354 has been returned to the house after being amended by the senate. Do you have any idea of when the house will be taking action on this bill?

I hope that you will support this bill.

Thank you.

Joshua XXXXXX

Joshua,

This bill will probably be heard this week and I will be supporting it.

Sue Tibbs

State Representative

2300 N. Lincoln Boulevard, Room 303A

Oklahoma City, OK 73105

(405) 557-7379

(800) 522-8502 Ext. 379

Fax: (405) 962-7672

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spoke with Richard Morrisette's (D) (unfortunately my state rep)secretary/PR/public liason this morning to find out how he was gonna vote on HB3354. "No clue", she said, "but he is a member of the NRA" (which at this point was a strange thing to say since I had made no other comment other than to ask how he was going to vote not how I wanted him to vote) and she vaguely remembered getting a memo from them about the issue. I told her the NRA was neutral on the issue (furious typing in the background - she didn't know that). She didn't think he'd even thought about HB 3354 yet.

After some chit chat about various house procedural issues I was interested in I finally told her the reason I was calling was that "I considered a politician's stand on the 2nd amendment a bell weather issue". I explained that a politician that was pro 2nd trusted his/her constituents and one that wasn't didn't trust their constituents at all and deserved as little respect as he showed his constituents. (I could hear her typing what I was saying furiously in the background). I asked if he was aware that only 7 of our 50 states did not permit Open Carry. I asked if he considered Oklahoma citizens any less law abiding and responsible than the citizens in the 43 states that did permit OC. She said she'd let him know what I'd said and would call me back this afternoon around 3:30 or 4 and let me know how he was gonna vote on the issue. She also mentioned that opposition to the bill was so weak on the floor that it would undoubtedly pass (the implication being his vote really wouldn't matter).

IMO based on the conversation with one who should know - the bill's going to pass. She also mentioned she thought Henry would sign it. More chit chat and somehow the topic of control of the house came up and I allowed that I thought the Dems still controlled it and that I was surprised she thought the bill would pass. She mentioned how strongly it had passed the senate and that the house was controlled by the republicans. The way she said it my impression was she was glad of that - surprising - coming from an employee of a pretty hard core demonrat.

Anyway - I doubt she'll call me back but if she does...

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
The pessimist in me is saying they are going to let it die without a vote...

Sorry about that we just couldn't get back to it this term, if only the Senate hadn't amended it it could have gone the Governors desk...

That way they can all point to how "pro-gun" they are with out having to actually do anything.

I hope I'm wrong.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The pessimist in me is saying they are going to let it die without a vote...

Sorry about that we just couldn't get back to it this term, if only the Senate hadn't amended it it could have gone the Governors desk...

Where is this "sorry" quote from....?

Anyone know when the next term ends? What the hell... will someone go sit in on this or somthing? LOL

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And the conversation with Representative Sue Tibbs takes an interesting turn.

Ma'am,

Thank you in advance for supporting this bill. I really appreciate hearing this especially after the public comments made by senator Crain whose district I reside in as well.

Sincerely

Joshua xxxxxx

Sent: Mon, May 3, 2010 1:53:46 PM
Subject: RE: HB 3354

Joshua:

I had not heard what Senator Crain said publicly, care to share with he said?

Ma'am,

I would be glad to share.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=16&articleid=20100422_16_A9_OKLAHO438908

Sen. Brian Crain, R-Tulsa, voted against the measure. He said his district includes Woodland Hills Mall.
"I would not like to see 200 people carrying guns around Woodland Hills Mall," Crain said.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20100429_11_A1_RonBoe413399

Sen. Brian Crain, R-Tulsa, who voted against the bill last week, said open carry isn't a Second Amendment issue.
The concealed-carry law ensures the right to bear arms and allows people to adequately defend themselves, Crain said.
"This just is not something that is conducive for Tulsans," he said. "We're not enhancing their safety . . . and I don't see any benefit to it."

In the first article link I provided Senators other than Crain made uninformed statements, Senator Lerblance states this would allow people to carry guns in bars, which is incorrect that is still prohibited by statute nothing in HB3354 removes that, so I have to wonder if he has even read the law or amendments he was commenting on.

He also makes a comment that we are going back to the days of Wyatt Earp, another false statement since all the senate amended HB3354 does is allow the roughly 96,000 Oklahomans who already have concealed carry permits to carry openly. We are already carrying, and the vigilante justic he alludes to has not occured. Senator Lerblance is apparently unaware of the fact that approximately 1 in 30 Oklahomans are licensed concealesd carry permit holders, and that with that number the odds are probably very good that if he spends anytime out in public he has already been around those of us he apparently fears.

The general consensus among the large group of shooters I associate with is that this is a nice option and welcome change to the law, but in reality the vast majority still intend to carry concealed.

I personally plan to continue to carry concealed the majority of the time but as a motorcyclist none of my pistols fit under my jacket when riding, this allows me to travel without fear of violating the law and when I reach my destination just unzipping my jacket would cover my pistol so that is concealed.

I know my interest in passage of this law is fairly narrow but it removes the fear and possible consequences that something as simple as a stiff breeze blowing an unbuttoned summer shirt open could lead to an arrest and charge for carrying a firearm in an unlawful manner.

Thank you again for your time and interest.

Joshua xxxxxx

chevy4wd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was told today in a email that the bill was currently in conference.

"The bill is in conference committee, whereas the bill can be amended. Also, agreements between the House and Senate are in order to get a final version before it is presented on the House floor. This is a final step in the bill process before it gets its final hearing in the House."

So we shall see how long that takes.

I emailed every House Rep there is this morning... so far 3 replys.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was told today in a email that the bill was currently in conference.

"The bill is in conference committee, whereas the bill can be amended. Also, agreements between the House and Senate are in order to get a final version before it is presented on the House floor. This is a final step in the bill process before it gets its final hearing in the House."

So we shall see how long that takes.

I emailed every House Rep there is this morning... so far 3 replys.

I haven't heard anything, yet, myself. Each e-mail that doesn't get a reply results in a half-point deduction on my list...

The Floor Calendar shows that it was actually part of today's agenda, but the Journal isn't up yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom