HB 3354 - Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
*hopes and prays this passes*

Just hoping for another option during this summer heat...

Just in case you didn't realize it, it passed yesterday.
I suspect you mean you hope Henry signs it in to law.
With that I also hope and pray.
Or at least I hope he doesn't waste time with a veto that will likely be over-ridden.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just teasing. I support training and I enjoy the academies monthly phone calls.
I too support training. I saw much of what Michael referred to in his post about what he'd seen at various CCW classes at the class I attended. For about a week after I took the class I was convinced training to carry or even buy a gun should be mandatory.

That feeling wore off though. The problem with mandatory training is who gets to decide what training. Who decides what it takes to pass the training? Who gets to decide who even qualifies to receive the training.

The government is who.

Poll taxes and literacy tests to vote were ruled unconstitutional for almost the same reasons mentioned above. Most states had one or the other, some both. They were designed to make it so minorities, blacks in particular, didn't get to vote.

It is not that great of a logical leap to see the same thing happening with firearms if government mandates that training become the law of the land.

And that truly is scary.

Those who think training is a good idea have nothing but good and practical intentions. Unfortunately the old saying that "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" is pretty hard to dispute.

nephets0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just in case you didn't realize it, it passed yesterday.
I suspect you mean you hope Henry signs it in to law.
With that I also hope and pray.
Or at least I hope he doesn't waste time with a veto that will likely be over-ridden.
thats what i meant... i suck with legal mumbojumbo stuff

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as training, yes, it is a great idea. Realize though, 150 years ago, people were learning to use guns to survive from a very, very young age.

This is exactly my thought.
The simple fact is that people are no longer exposed to guns & proper handling & saftey as a way of life.

okshooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think training is a must. It's never a bad thing. No matter how long you've handled a weapon, training helps keep you and others safe and increases your skills.

It takes a 2/3's majority vote to pass the bill if the gov. veto's it.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think training is a must.

I think everyone on here would agree. But times have changed since many of us were kids and had safety beat into our heads. So as responsible gun owners we might want to take an interest in helping others see the light. Gone are the days of self responsibility. I like many of you was raised with the knowledge of being safe was rule number one and practicing safety was part of gun ownership. I really think we would be doing ourselves a favor if we became a little more patient and helpful to the masses of uneducated.

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think training is a must. It's never a bad thing. No matter how long you've handled a weapon, training helps keep you and others safe and increases your skills.

It takes a 2/3's majority vote to pass the bill if the gov. veto's it.

Well I agree training and teaching about firearms is a must.... So since this is a right and not a privilege.... and you are correct the average person does not have the exposure to firearms...

I propose gun safety class should be taught at all high schools.... as requirement to graduate.... they do not have to have to get extremely in depth just a class to recognize the dangers and reality of firearms....

class course that could build on the teaching and training of say the Eddie Eagle NRA program, that they should have as younger kids as part of the curriculum....

I say bring back high school shooting teams....
people have be conditioned to fear firearms and not to have fun and challenge
themselves and others responsibly.....

This to me would be a better use of my property taxes than the local high school football team or to support the retirement of another superintendent.... Maybe the young adults will learn a valuable lesson and maybe discover a right that they did not know they had....

It took a lot of work but we got archery back in schools again.... over 225 school in Oklahoma are participating now.... and more every year....

Many of the young kids involved in the school archery programs actively seek out other shooting sports....

I can dream of the day when I get to go and cheer for my local school shooting team....

My daughter is 8yrs old so maybe it will be there for her high school career....

Latest posts

Top Bottom