Headed to Moore - Chainsaw Recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My church in Broken Arrow is sending cleanup teams down to Moore starting today. I'm headed down Friday morning.

Can you guys recommend a good chainsaw for me? For the record, I have zero experience with chainsaws. The Stihl Farm Boss looks good at $400. I've heard they stand behind their products too.

I see Home Depot rents chain saws. I have no idea if they any good.

Opine away.

Thank you.

Okie Marine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Stihl, they are great and they do stand behind their saws. I have a small 16" 171 that I keep in my truck toolbox for small jobs and its great for storm cleanup and it's only about $200. The Stihl repair guy told me just not to run it really hard for long periods of time (like longer than 30 minutes) and it should last a really long time. He said the 350 and bigger saws are for the full time 40 hour a week cutters. I've cut branches 6-8" with no problem and a few 10" branches, just take it slow, make a straight cut, and let the saw do the work.

I doubt there are any chainsaws left to rent in OK right now.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A nice chainsaw is very dangerous. It can be cutting fine, and hit a nail or a knot, and damn-near fly out of you hands. Stihl is the way to go.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bigger engines can run a longer bar, so they can clear more in less time if you had some large spans of broad trees. Honestly though, for this type of damage (as opposed to say, clearing large trees in the Pac NW), anything with a 14" or 16" bar and up will probably suffice. Stihl and Echo and both good for longer term, long ownership and regular use equipment, but truth be told a $99 off the shelf Poulan can go in and do work now with a good operator.

The more important thing is to make sure you keep the bar and chain oiled, keep the gas:oil ratio good, have spares on hand (they WILL get dull fast), keep a socket and screwdriver handy (you WILL nee to adjust tension), and let the thing cool off some after hard use. That is, don't smoke and burn the bar as that can wear them out fast.

Source: I sold and serviced chainsaws among other things for years at Sears. Ours were Poulan and Husqvarna mostly. Nothing special but if you put in fuel/oil mix and bar lube and set the tension right, it'll get the job done.

I got a $89 dollar Poulan during the ice storms about 6 years ago when I lived in Moore, as it's all I could get. It cleared limbs at a half dozen homes then, and I've used it every year since. I know it's no Stihl, but don't baby it, but checking the things I noted above lets it work for me every time. I've cut limbs and trunks up to a foot across, and some 18" sections, but doing that with a 14" bar takes a bit of patience. Having lived in Moore, hell in the damaged edition off of 8th and Broadway/Howard, I can say most of the stuff is going to be much smaller in size and a 14" would be able to take care of it, realistically. Also much easier to lug around.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard they aren't allowing volunteers unless you're a first responder. Not that you couldnt help, but they're "supposedly" turning some away. On the up side, Red Cross is doing volunteer training for those that would like to help without being hassled. Havent heard where yet though.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard they aren't allowing volunteers unless you're a first responder. Not that you couldnt help, but they're "supposedly" turning some away. On the up side, Red Cross is doing volunteer training for those that would like to help without being hassled. Havent heard where yet though.

Another good way to help is to donate blood. Im going to donate blood with a few friends after school today. The more the merrier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom