"Health & Wellness"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Me and my velomobile (the white one) outside the Stafford, KS community center early on the morning of June 13th (Tuesday), preparing to head out onto the optional century route (100 miles) into Newton, KS. The red and white velomobile belongs to a guy I met the first night in Elkhart. We would ride together all week. Rural Kansas folks had never seen one velomobile, much less two together, so we created quite a stir wherever we went. In the background you can see some friends of mine with their Rans Seavo recumbent tandem and (her) Bacchetta Corsa recumbent bicycle, along with any number of more normal bikes lined up against the walls of the various downtown shops. I had a great time at BAK!
View attachment 386411
Curious, how's the heat in the velomobile? It looks like you'd cook unless it has magic air flow.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Curious, how's the heat in the velomobile? It looks like you'd cook unless it has magic air flow.
It is something you have to learn to live with in a velo. There are holes drilled in the bottom of the velo to allow the puddles of sweat that collect there to drain. When I climb out of the thing, my shorts and shirt are absolutely wringing wet. There is enough airflow at speed to stay reasonably comfortable, but long climbs at very slow speeds can be especially hot. I routinely carry two 70 oz Camelbaks plus a Polar insulated w/bottle, and I avoid riding on 100 degree days. On the other hand, my arms and legs, and the back of my neck are well protected from the sun, which does help me stay cooler.

Last edited:

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I'm out of the lifting game for a while. On Thursday morning I had a tear in my labrum (connective tissue in shoulder) repaired. For the next 4 to 6 weeks I'll be in a sling and then I'll have to do physical therapy after that.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I'm out of the lifting game for a while. On Thursday morning I had a tear in my labrum (connective tissue in shoulder) repaired. For the next 4 to 6 weeks I'll be in a sling and then I'll have to do physical therapy after that.
Best of luck with your recovery. Take it easy and follow your doctor's advice. It is always so tempting to start training again too soon.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a 3 tear Labrum repaired with a bicep tendonesis A few years back.
My Doc started therapy immediately after surgery(within a few days).
extreme pain is the best way for me to describe it.
i haven't been able to work out much as I've wanted this year because my elbows and shoulders have been in some pain. Not enough to repair but I have to skip weeks of working out So i've just been riding as much as possible.

got 167 miles this week, just over 3500 for the year.
well on my way to my goal of 6k

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Me and my velomobile (the white one) outside the Stafford, KS community center early on the morning of June 13th (Tuesday), preparing to head out onto the optional century route (100 miles) into Newton, KS. The red and white velomobile belongs to a guy I met the first night in Elkhart. We would ride together all week. Rural Kansas folks had never seen one velomobile, much less two together, so we created quite a stir wherever we went. In the background you can see some friends of mine with their Rans Seavo recumbent tandem and (her) Bacchetta Corsa recumbent bicycle, along with any number of more normal bikes lined up against the walls of the various downtown shops. I had a great time at BAK!
View attachment 386411
Interesting thread; pleased I discovered it. Some of my ancestors are from Stafford KS. FWIW, I typically run 8 miles every Saturday and consider it my license to eat :-). Nice bikes!!

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting thread; pleased I discovered it. Some of my ancestors are from Stafford KS. FWIW, I typically run 8 miles every Saturday and consider it my license to eat :-). Nice bikes!!
Very nice folks in Stafford. It was one of my favorite towns on the route. Keep up the running, and I know what you mean about the "license to eat". :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom