Help A Newbie! Lookinf for a cheap .22lr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duvivr6

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well Guys I picked the Springfield - Savage 87A for $60 took a more experienced friend and he said it looked good so I grabbed it for that price it should be good fun!

Thanks for all the help!

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well Guys I picked the Springfield - Savage 87A for $60 took a more experienced friend and he said it looked good so I grabbed it for that price it should be good fun!

Thanks for all the help!

I have an 87A made, I believe, in the 1930s. After a house fire a family friend gave it to me when I was about 12 years old. I knocked the black off of the stock and oiled it. Shot thousands and thousands of rounds through it as a boy and it still shoots good. (nothing to do with this discussion, but) I recently found the Tasco scope I bought for it at TG&Y and never mounted. The scope is still new in the box.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an 87A made, I believe, in the 1930s. After a house fire a family friend gave it to me when I was about 12 years old. I knocked the black off of the stock and oiled it. Shot thousands and thousands of rounds through it as a boy and it still shoots good. (nothing to do with this discussion, but) I recently found the Tasco scope I bought for it at TG&Y and never mounted. The scope is still new in the box.

Man your old,(join the Club), Half the people on this forum have probably never heard of TG&Y. Oh the memories.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Thanks for all the help!

Probably a good choice. The Marlin tubular magazine rifles really like to be clean, and jam when they aren't. With $60 invested, you can shoot the Savage until it breaks, and then buy something else.

The 10-22 is a neat little gun, but typically has a truly horrid trigger from the factory, and it takes a pretty knowledgable person to fix the problem without investing another $100 or so. CB

Duvivr6

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I shot the 87A yesterday prob put more than 100 rounds down the range and it worked flawlessly and its actually pretty acurate lots of fun!

Also shot my 91/30 for the 1st time I didnt really hit what I was aiming for but man it is fun (gun works perfectly I just suck)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man your old,(join the Club), Half the people on this forum have probably never heard of TG&Y. Oh the memories.

My LT-20 1100 Rem that I bought off of an older gentleman last summer had never been fired, (bought new in 1974, and wrecked his knees the next day) Still had the TG&Y tag hanging off of the trigger guard, along with the original receipt.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Here's my two cents. You already bought a rifle, but for anyone else reading this. It might be worth buying an older rifle if you can find one cheap. I picked up this Armscor M20 from a member here with the bipod on it for $110, added the scope, polished the receiver and barrel, and refinished the stock.

Here's a before:
ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_Armscor_20Stock_OldStock.jpg

And after:
ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_Armscor_20Stock_M20_1.jpg

ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_Armscor_20Stock_M20_2.jpg

ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_Armscor_20Stock_M20_3.jpg

ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_Armscor_20Stock_M20_4.jpg

The best part, it shoots awesome! The only issue with the gun, is that the extractor was missing and I still haven't replaced it, so it jams regularly. Here's my target from Saturday, the top two are groups, the bottom I was messing around.
ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_Armscor_20Stock_Target.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom