help needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like the round would generate much more velocity out of a carbine and that it would sure be legal if the pistol was legal???? Who can figure out game laws though.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
40 is legal, i just called and they said any cartridge legal in a handgun is legal in a carbine. and 40s&w is legal with atleast a 4" barrel

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It wasn't "decisive" in any way. The dog was shot at about 6 feet, bullet entered from above, 3" or so down from the spine and traveled down through the lungs. The dog yelped and ran around 100 yards before falling, bullet did not exit and there was no blood trail. Keep in mind, this dog probably only weighed 50 pounds.

This was with a Nosler 135 grain jacketed hollow point. A 180 grain bullet may have exited, leaving a blood trail, but I don't believe it would have put the dog down any faster. I'm afraid a deer would travel much farther and might not be recovered, especially with no blood trail.

Flyboy

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
???????

Same limitations for both rifles and handguns when shooting "pistol" cartridges.
I disagree. The rule says:
Semi-automatic handguns: Chambered for any centerfire ammunition with a 100-grain or heavier soft-nosed bullet and having a cartridge case size of .40 caliber or larger (includes 10 mm, .357 Sig., and 40 cal. or larger)
In a semi-auto, therefore, the .40 would be permissible. The rule goes so far as to specifically include the .357 Sig, with an overall length of 1.140 in, probably because it's derived from the .40 S&W.

'course, I'm also the guy who thinks an AR pistol in .223 would be legal for concealed carry because it's "smaller than .45 caliber." I love legal word-games.

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Took my deer last year with a Ruger .40 carbine. Tree stand 25 yards out and down. didn't break any ribs, got both lungs and brused the heart bad. walked off 20 to 30 yards and laid down. My cleanest shot ever.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I talked to Captain Tracy Daniels, Ranger for the ODW about this.
He said that the 10mm in the current rules is ok for deer in semi-auto pistol, and in any rifle chambered for it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom