Help sizing a buttplate.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okieprepper

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty...
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought a used buttplate off ebay. Fortunately it's a bit oversized rather than undersized. What is the best approach, tool and technique to removing material on the buttplate to size it to the stock?
20230421_194439.jpg
20230421_194459.jpg

Last edited:

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
scribe it with a razor blade or sharp pick work towards the line with a stationary sander i mount my belt sander on the table and use it. refit. refi.t refit. so you don't remove too much!!

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You didn’t mention what tools you have available. I’d probably wrap the stock with several layers of masking tape and carefully remove the excess material from the butt plate. It looks like the stock is a bit rounded and there will be a gap between the edge of the stock and butt plate, if you don’t do something about it.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You didn’t mention what tools you have available. I’d probably wrap the stock with several layers of masking tape and carefully remove the excess material from the butt plate. It looks like the stock is a bit rounded and there will be a gap between the edge of the stock and butt plate, if you don’t do something about it.
good way for an amateur to screw up a good stock better to take it off and work towards the scribe line .

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
good way for an amateur to screw up a good stock better to take it off and work towards the scribe line .

It’s an okay stock that has already been sanded on without a butt plate installed. You can see how the end of the stock has been rounded off. I don’t think there’s much to worry about if the amateur takes his time.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thought for future use....I needed one for my Browning Auto 5, so traced the stock on a piece of paper and kept it in my wallet for gun shows....since each one is technically unique, check them against your pattern until you find the correct pad that's close enough in size for your needs. It's not perfect but you REALLY gotta look at it to see the difference.

Latest posts

Top Bottom