Hertz sells off their EVs. Says it won't buy any more.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was traveling on a regular basis an EV would have been fine, wouldn't need to be topped up. It was literally fly in, get a car, got to hotel, next day go to client site for meeting, return to airport and fly home. A lot of folks in my business have similar patterns. What isn't clear is how Hertz was charging for "fuel", I know for gasoline their "we fill it" options are egregious from a cost perspective.

Yeah, the whole "let's claim our customers stole our cars and have them arrested" thing was not a good choice either.

Most of my trips were 1-2 weeks at a time, so an EV would have been a non-starter for me. Lots of travelers like you describe, but overall there's just added complications that I wouldn't have wanted to have dealt with for sure.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, the whole "let's claim our customers stole our cars and have them arrested" thing was not a good choice either.

Most of my trips were 1-2 weeks at a time, so an EV would have been a non-starter for me. Lots of travelers like you describe, but overall there's just added complications that I wouldn't have wanted to have dealt with for sure.
They've really gone downhill, they were my rental company for decades, my last rental with them was the last straw. I've heard others with similar views, and some that have had after return attempts at damage claims.

As a vendor to them, they are an absolute mess....

RangerRick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago we used to rent cars for vacations or long trips mainly to see if a particular car i was looking to buy was what i really wanted. could check milage, comfort and noise level. also if you had a issue with car you didn't have to wait for repair, just exchange for another car. helped me find out there were a couple of cars that i would never own

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apparently, Hertz rented a bunch of their cars to Uber drivers. They returned them with dents and fried batteries.

You can't do paintless dent repairs on a Tesla. And even scratches have to be repaired with a special Tesla paint.

Replacing the battery packs costs as much as a new car.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The government could be pushing EVs for big city use like NYC, Hydrogen powered cars for suburban use and gas for long distance and rural use. It would be simpler to build charging stations in a big city. The Hydrogen powered cars have a much longer range, refuel in minutes and actually help clean the air as they are driven. The gas is already plentiful and easy to find for long distance/rural use. Combine those three with building modern nuclear power plants and you have solved the air pollution and so called climate change problem.

Government isn't in the business of solving problems. It's in the business of creating more government.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem for a rental company isn't that there's not demand, but I'd imagine they are a real pain to rent since most hotels dont have chargers. So for a traveler, having to top up without the infrastructure where you're staying, it can be a killer.
In our travels around the country, a large majority of hotels other than a Motel 6 has one or more charging stations. Most major fuel stations have banks of them with people charging and people waiting.
The biden administration pledged 623 million dollars to building charging stations.
So far, zero have been installed, but the money is going out according to liberal news outlets.
Time will tell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom