Hertz sells off their EVs. Says it won't buy any more.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneMoreEvan

This is bowling, there are rules. MARK IT ZERO
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unrelated to EV stuff, but I had a job renting cars to people at Hertz back in college and one day the location closed without warning anyone. Left class and went there to find the front door shuttered and a note from the owner saying they had permanently closed effective immediately. I had my BAH from my GI Bill so I wasn't affected too badly, but I know a couple people that were really screwed by that move. All Hertz can all close as far as I'm concerned.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe next time they won't listen to Slo Joe so much. Hertz los their shirt on the EV buy. Not just the EV's but the maintenance and repair was too much for them to handle.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sure would not want to buy a Tesla that was a prior Hertz rental; would not want an ICE car from them, or any other rental company either. We bought a new Tesla Model Y, long-range in February 2023. Quality-wise, the fit and finish on it are beneath our V8 Lexus SUV (125K miles) and V6 Toyota Sienna (190K miles).

Our Tesla has almost 20K miles on it and has not given us one bit of trouble in 11 months of ownership. An EV can be a great option in a relatively warm area, but with trip planning and adequate charging infrastructure, they'd be fine in a cold area also. A garage to charge at home is a definite plus! Per this article, Norway and Iceland recently have the 1st, and 2nd highest percentage of EV/total vehicle sales in the world.
https://thewest.com.au/lifestyle/mo...how-why-they-lead-the-world-in-evs-c-11440067
In addition to Tesla's' high safety rating, curiosity and an admiration for how Mr. Musk stands up to the far left inspired my family to add a Tesla as the first 3rd vehicle instead of an ICE or hybrid. It might not have been the best value, but it sure is fun to drive!

Out of that 20K miles, about 6K was for a trip to TX, one to OK/KS, and one to Commiefornia. The Supercharger stops in fairly cool to warm temps took about 15 minutes on average and cost $838 in total. The other 14K miles were fed by our Level 2 garage charger and a TOU estimate of $360. Works out to about 6 cents per mile.
So, I'm an anti-commie, anti-liberal, anti-mandate, anti-subsidy (did not get one), gun-toting Tesla lover :thumbup3:

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Battery technology has pretty much peaked. Batteries are based on chemistry and physics. There isn’t anywhere left to go in battery development besides more advanced plate geometry within the cells, which maximizes surface area exposed to the electrolyte. Tiny, tiny incremental gains that will soon reach an absolute zenith. Electric vehicles, in terms of real, true reliability, will always be relegated to inherently short distance capacity until/unless battery packs become cheap AND a readily available, exchangeable commodity that can be swapped out quickly for a very low service fee and at virtually any locality nationwide. Batteries are consumable commodities with very defined shelf live and services lives, and are totally dependent upon responsible usage by the consumer. Based on the fact that >99%.9999999 of people don’t understand how catastrophically bad it is for a cell phone battery to be run down til it shuts off due to total battery depletion, EVs don’t stand a chance without a major overhaul of the education system as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom