Hertz sells off their EVs. Says it won't buy any more.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd imagine they are a real pain to rent since most hotels dont have chargers.
Most of the hotels I've stayed in since 2017 have had EV chargers. Even the ones in BFE Mississippi and Texas had them. I'm pretty sure every Hampton Inn where I've stayed has had them (and I stayed in a bunch of them in 2017-2018).

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In our travels around the country, a large majority of hotels other than a Motel 6 has one or more charging stations. Most major fuel stations have banks of them with people charging and people waiting.
The biden administration pledged 623 million dollars to building charging stations.
So far, zero have been installed, but the money is going out according to liberal news outlets.
Time will tell.
Perhaps you roll in properties with higher star counts than I. Myself, I was always a Hilton/Marriott guy, but rarely saw charging stations onsite.

I have seen a surprising number in national parks. I think the more surprising one was Pinnacles National Park out in nowhere Cali that had one even.

38Super

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heck, back about 7/8years ago when my territory included Russellville, AR, the Super 8 on the south side of I-40 even had 2 or 3. Most new hotel builds lately put in one or two. I'm talking from Super 8's to Holiday Inn,s, Hilton Garden Inn, etc.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hertz and other companies listened to the government and lost their shirts gettig on the EV bandwagon. They'll never learn, the government isnt looking out for them and couldn't care less about car rentals or profits. Tey just want to be in power and in order to do that push products or bad ideas and they fell for the pitch.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This got reading a little on the maintenance costs of EVs. I didn't realize that tires on evs are more expensive and wear out 20-30% faster than ice vehicles.

So I started looking at what makes a tire an ev tire. According to a few articles...

One is rubber compound for traction to handle torque, which also probably is the explanation for wearing out faster.

Another is weight handling since evs weigh 6-800 lbs more than ice.

Tread designed to be quiet since there's no ice sounds. This one doesn't make much sense to me since you'd think ice drivers also might appreciate quiet tread design?

Lower rolling resistance to maximize range. Here again, seems like this might be something of benefit to an ice driver too?

Overall I question whether it's not more of a marketing ploy from tire manufacturers.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This got reading a little on the maintenance costs of EVs. I didn't realize that tires on evs are more expensive and wear out 20-30% faster than ice vehicles.

So I started looking at what makes a tire an ev tire. According to a few articles...

One is rubber compound for traction to handle torque, which also probably is the explanation for wearing out faster.

Another is weight handling since evs weigh 6-800 lbs more than ice.

Tread designed to be quiet since there's no ice sounds. This one doesn't make much sense to me since you'd think ice drivers also might appreciate quiet tread design?

Lower rolling resistance to maximize range. Here again, seems like this might be something of benefit to an ice driver too?

Overall I question whether it's not more of a marketing ploy from tire manufacturers.

That part in bold is a problem for many because when walking across a parking lot, one might not even hear an EV coming up behind one's self.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
They've really gone downhill, they were my rental company for decades, my last rental with them was the last straw. I've heard others with similar views, and some that have had after return attempts at damage claims.

As a vendor to them, they are an absolute mess....
All rental car companies suck; they spend too much time cleaning the outside of the car and ignoring the inside. I’ve refused cars many times because of dirty inside windshields, stinking interior and food boogers.
Only good thing from Hertz was that they partnered with Magellan to develop the Never Lost GPS navigation system.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All rental car companies suck; they spend too much time cleaning the outside of the car and ignoring the inside. I’ve refused cars many times because of dirty inside windshields, stinking interior and food boogers.
Only good thing from Hertz was that they partnered with Magellan to develop the Never Lost GPS navigation system.
Which was great for a few years, then carplay and smart phones wiped it out. They had a building full of that hardware that was never deployed. Pallets of it, brand new...

Latest posts

Top Bottom