Hi-Point for CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first gun was a Hi-Point 9mm. Simply because it was what I could afford at the time. A cheap reliable gun is better than no gun. My sister also has one that she carries daily. I've never had any trouble with mine and neither has she. She's put about 10K rounds through it with only one FTE.

With all due respect, I have to call BS on this. No way did a Hi-Point go 10,000 rds with only 1 FTE!

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first gun was a Hi-Point 9mm. Simply because it was what I could afford at the time. A cheap reliable gun is better than no gun. My sister also has one that she carries daily. I've never had any trouble with mine and neither has she. She's put about 10K rounds through it with only one FTE.

[Broken External Image]

TMA-1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anybody own one of these? Is it worth it, and has anyone every tried to CCW with one?

I own a Hi-Point C9 (9mm). It's too thick and heavy to use as carry weapon, at least for me. I plan to use it as a "truck gun" - it's sturdy enough to take the Oklahoma potholes, and my losses are minimal if someone breaks in and steals it -- the locks and windows will cost more to replace than the pistol!

For the price, it's a surprisingly good shooter, but I've learned a couple of things about the C9 (your mileage may vary with the .45 version):

1. It does not like all brands of ammo. For example, I get regular FTF (fail to feed) when shooting Winchester White-Box bulk. The Winchester ammo is ever-so-slightly longer than most other FMJ ammo, and apparently this is enough to throw the gun off its feed, so to speak. Oddly enough, the Winchester white-box JHP does just fine, and that has become my primary defense round for this pistol.

2. The gun does not tolerate a limp wrist - if you don't hold your wrist firmly while shooting, you'll be rewarded with a steady diet of stovepipes and other malfunctions. Limp-wristing is never good with any automatic, but Hi-Points are really allergic to it.

Whether or not to use a Hi-Point as a defense weapon? In my opinion, it's like any gun- you need to take the time to get to know it. Put a few boxes of ammo downrange. Practice dry-firing. Learn how to clear a jam quickly (it can happen to any gun, regardless of cost). Get to know its capabilities, limitations, and strengths.

In short, learn how to use your tools! In the end, I feel that my Hi-Point has a place in my self-defense arsenal, but it took some time to get there!

Holster Maker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What makes them even worse is trying to find a holster for one. I had a guy talk me into making one for a .45 about a year ago and you wouldn't believe how much leather it took to cover the thing! I told myself from that point on, if I ever had to make another holster for one, I was going to have to charge double, just because of the material that it took to make the darn thing!

okie shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As stated, for those without enough money to buy better they may work, but IMHO, I dont think they are worth keeping, I do have a carbine but its more for fun plinking and never even thought about self defense.

For a little more or even less, there are plenty of military surplus guns out there that will well placed shots will give you good service too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom