Historical sites and memorials of Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
In Edmond on Second street there is a historical one room school house, the first one in the county, maybe state or something like that which has been very well restored/preserved, I'll look for pics...

Edit: Here is a link, and it was the first school house in the Oklahoma Territory...

http://www.edmondhistory.org/education/1889-territorial-schoolhouse/

There's still a one room school house standing a few miles N of where I live, it's completely grown over and hard to see from the road even though it's at an intersection, will try to get some pics.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fort Gibson, OK. They have a smaller replica of the original fort. The hospital, officers quarters, and one building for enlisted soldiers still stands, the arsenal (i think) has a small museum. The town itself has a lot of houses/buildings on the historical register. They are currently restoring downtown.

Ft. Gibson is a nice historical place to visit. The kids and I enjoyed it.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last year, I put together a little project that resulted in an article published in a sailing magazine, Small Craft Advisor.

After a prolonged period of research, I identified several historical sites that are now at the bottom of Lake Texoma. From a pair of sailboats, using sonar, we found the location of the first trading post in that corner of the world (circa 1830s), found the site of a plantation that was tangled in Civil War events and traced the path of spanish conquistadors as they explored the Red River. Lastly, we came pretty close to identifying the lost location of Camp Leavenworth--a temporary fort set up to house a batallion of US Army Dragoons. This group of soldiers were sent to Indian Territory to stop fighting between indians and settlers. They were successful, but many died to disease during the trip.

If you're interested in the article, track down Issue #71 of that magazine (Sept 2011). Also, there are some photos of the trip here:

http://svbluepeter.com/prestontrip.htm

If you look at the photo with the pitched tents, that was probably very close to the location of the lost fort. If not there, then underwater just offshore. General Leavenworth died there as did many many of his men. Also of interest, American artist George Catlin painted many of his famous indian portraits at that little fort on bank of the Red River. Lots of history under that big lake.

Latest posts

Top Bottom